• In the Spotlight:

Getting my son used to new textures...

My son is 8 months old. He does not have any teeth yet, but he is teething, his gums are pretty hard and it could be any day. He has already had a couple of mushy cheerios and it was different, but he liked them.
Right now he is on stage 2 baby food. Since he is so close to cutting his first teeth, my husband and I decided to give him stage 3 meats. I guess that was a bad decision, because he HATED it. I don't think it was the taste-I think it was the texture. He wasn't about to choke on it or anything. He swallowed a few bites but that was in between screams. He hated it. How can I ease him into it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My youngest hated them when I started her out, but I kept offering daily, eventually I learned which ones she liked more than others. Her faves are chicken and turkey, the beef and ham she's not crazy about. Those were stage 2 meats, though. Now she's on stage 3 as well, eating the "dinners", like spaghetti, green beans n rice, broccoli w/ carrots, etc. She's still getting use to the difference in texture as well. Just keep trying, they say it could take up to 10-12 offerings before a baby could like something.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:11 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• my DD hated them greatly!
    hottietottie455

Answer by hottietottie455 at 10:08 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Give him REAL food. Have you tasted that stuff? It's NASTY. The rule of thumb is that if you can mush it between your fingers, he can gum it. Teeth are not needed. Keep it to about pea sized pieces. I use ground turkey for Emi mostly.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 10:17 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• the meats are stage 2 actually .. least that's what mine say..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• dont give REAL food.. it actually has more bad chemicals in them then babies need now..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Anon, really? Buy a little bit of free range, hormone and antibiotic free meat and freeze it in tiny portions and then cook some up as needed. Do you even know what kind of meat Gerber uses for their crap in a jar?
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 10:38 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• arisce.. i am a nurse and actually do know what im talking about.. but ty
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• can we avoid the bashing please? this is a really dumb thing to be bashing about.
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 11:21 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• who was bashing.. seriously? im just stating FACTS sweetmom.. im a nurse.. and i was ONLY repeating FACTS.. i was far far from bashing anyone.. You would know if i was bashing.. i was telling the truth bout what i know with my education if thats bashing to you.. id really hate to see what real bashing does to you!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I actually have to agree with the "nurse" here sweetmoon, no one is bashing. Ya'll need to learn what bashing is.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 11:46 AM on Aug. 3, 2009