• In the Spotlight:

any moms currently breastfeeding? do u have a heart rate moniter?

If so, please partake in my study;

Next feeding time put your heart rate moniter on 5 mins before feeding and leave it on for 20 minutes after. What was your highest heart rate? Average?

A recent study followed about 300 moms to see if their feeding was a cause of weight loss, they concluded it is of no help. I understand this is not a reason to breastfeed but as a health pro I'm determined to get to the bottle of this. I mean boittom.

Xoxo JAM bodybyjam@gmail.com

fitkids333

Asked by fitkids333 at 10:13 AM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't have a heart monitor, BUT the reason for the loss in weight for some women is because of raised metabolism and the fact that breastfeeding burns an extra 500 calories a day, like pregnancy. That is EBFing not breastfeeding and supplimenting or breastfeeding and pumping or breastfeeding with solids. A womans body burns calories to make milk...has NOTHING to do with heart rate.

I'm guessing you are trying to debunk the weight loss part of BFing so that you can make bottlefeeding seem better...good luck. As a Health pro, you should be concerned about what goes in childrens diet and formula is NOT the healthiest diet, instead of trying to prove a bonus to BFing, why not research what formula does for future health.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Weight loss should NEVER be the sole reason to EBF. The only thing I can say is that I lost 45 lbs in the first 2 wks of EBF. And another 5 in the following month. My heart rate did increase, not sure by how much, but I have arrhythmia and BFing raised my stress level, so my info would probably mess up your research.
    Mick86Sara

Answer by Mick86Sara at 11:20 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Why don't you just save us the time and effort and tell us what formula feeding does for future health, anon?
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 12:34 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• ok sure heres the difference in future babies health
    http://www.drjaygordon.com/development/bf/bfoutcomes.asp

and heres what it does for moms health
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/T020700.asp

Formula has many negative effects on everyone future health, yes its WAY better than starving a baby, but it has negatives alot of them....

Not sure why someone would want to down play BFings benefits...big deal if it didn't help 300 women lose weight...it does help SOME and it has tons of other benefits.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:50 PM on Aug. 3, 2009