fussy eater help

My daughter has a friend visiting this week. My daughter informed me this friend has also gone vegetarian. No problems since my daughter is one too. Anyways so for dinner her first night here I made chicken (for us meat eaters) mixed veggies and roasted potatos and some multigrain rolls. I put dinner on the table and her friend informed me that her meals are pasta not veggies cause she doesn't like most fruits and veggies. I am not cooking pasta for 2 weeks straight to aplease her meals. What the heck should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Start boiling water it sounds like she is set in her ways and is not moving on them at all. GL I hope it all works out for you.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 10:17 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I have a zero tolerance policy towards picky eaters of all ages. We have the 3-bite rule; you try 3 bites of dinner, and if you don't like it then you fix yourself whole grain toast with peanut butter and honey with an apple or kiwi.

That said, here is one recipe that the spoiled brat might eat:

I serve this it over broccoli (and I make double the sauce).
    Pasta and Tofu with Finger-Licking Peanut Sauce
    1/2 cup low or no sodium vegetable broth
    1/4 cup chunky peanut butter (I use smooth)
    1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
    3 tablespoons brown sugar
    2 tablespoons rice vinegar
    2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger
    2 teaspoons chile paste with garlic (add to taste, it is pretty spicey)
    4 garlic cloves, minced
    8 ounces uncooked whole wheat angel hair
    1 pound firm tofu, drained and cubed (optional)
    1 cup (2-inch) sliced green onions
    1 cup shredded carrot

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:23 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Combine first 8 ingredients in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until smooth, stirring frequently (this can also be done in the microwave; use a tempered glass bowl, like pyrex, cook for 20 seconds, stir, repeat until smooth). Remove from heat. Cook pasta in boiling water 8 minutes, omitting salt and fat. Add tofu, onions, and carrot; drain. Place pasta mixture in a large bowl. Add peanut butter mixture; toss gently.

• Is she old enough to help with the cooking? I would personally have her prepare the pasta that she will be eating if she is old enough. That should help on the separate meals issue for at least the length of her visit. On a serious note though, as a vegetarian, she is going to have some health issues in the long-term if she does not balance her meals out correctly. It is definitely doable, but not by eating pasta alone. She needs various fruits, veggies, legumes and beans, e
    lucindamartinez

Answer by lucindamartinez at 10:28 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• get those pasta packets that u just add water to. Like pasta roni meal packs, cheap and easy.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 10:32 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I asked her if she actually looked into being a vegetarian. I know my daughter has agreed while she's still growing that she'd just cut out meat but eats milk, eggs, cheese and occassionally fish. She did eat the multi grain rolls which I make for most meals in one form or another. She did say she'd eat Boca and morningstar farms meatless patties but yeah I tried to tell her that diet wasn't going to be good after awhile but she says her mom was okay with it. So I';m not going to fuss but her mom siad she'd hoped we'd get her too eat more.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Seeing she isn't your child, you can't tell her how to eat and what is best for her. That is up to her parents. If she is old enough to cook, tell her what you will be serving and if she doesn't like it she can cook her own meals and clean up her own messes. Either that or because she is a guest in your home, make her a small amount of pasta at dinner.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:45 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• well actually her mom asked me to talk with her since her mom thinks she should be eatting other stuff and that since my daughter has been a vegetarian longer she thought we'd be able to help her chose other options. That's the only reason I said anything. However not sure if cooking is an option since they cooked the other night and after repeated attempts I ended up cleaning up their mess.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:13 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• maybe the next night you're preparing dinner, ask the kids to "come help you"- give them two choices of what they can help with, (like put together the salad, or toss the pasta in sauce, or make ketchup happyfaces on your protein dish...lol) then ask them to be your official taste testers. Ask them what they think the dish needs (i.e. more cheese? more tomatoes? whatever), and have them taste the finished produt... then have them help you serve everyone and let them take the first bite... make a real shw out of "them helping" for the evening, so its more about the process than the food. Maybe you can sneak one by her, lol... Good luck!
    CinnamonScallop

Answer by CinnamonScallop at 2:03 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• You are a guest in my home and you will eat what I serve. If you don't like it, go home.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:13 PM on Aug. 3, 2009