Help! I am trying to get into the swing of things, but I can't seem to get a routine going. If you or your SO works nights...

How do you keep your home (esp. the bedroom) clean? My DH works 6pm-6am. My bedroom is slept in constantly from 10pm-2 or 3pm. While my DH is sleeping, I try to keep DS fairly quiet and entertained. From the time my DH wakes up until he leaves for work at 4:30, I try to be home to spend time with him (since that is the only time I get to see him most days) and make his dinner. After that, I am with my 13 month old DS until he goes to bed (dinner from 5-5:30, play time until about 6:30/7, bath, brush teeth, bed) at 8pm. So, from 8pm to 10, I have to squeeze in ME time, and clean the kitchen. As most of you know, the kitchen is one thing that little ones necessitate be cleaned EVERY day, which doesn't leave me with much extra time to clean up anything else, except on the days my DH is off. Those days, he (we) make(s) enough extra mess that any other cleaning I do on those days is moot. Any suggestions? How do you do it?

kikikiki

Asked by kikikiki at 10:22 AM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I hate that shift for hubby but here's what I do:

Get up and outta bed before he gets in it. MAKE THE BED! It's much more restful to get into a freshly made bed. If you'd like a made bed it only takes a minute after he gets up to make it up again for you.

I try to have a main dinner ready for before he goes to work. Sometimes I use the crockpot, sometimes I do all the prep work ahead so that dinner can be put together quickly. A few minutes now saves time and stress later.

Decide what household chores you can get done while hubby sleeps. Laundry? Dishes? Scrubbing the bathroom? Obviously vacuuming is out but a quick 10 minute sweep after he goes to work can be fit into an evening schedule. The key is to break up your household work into small increments. Also, if you fill the kitchen sink with soapy water while you're cooking and keep dishes washed up as you use them, there's practically nothing after dinner.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 1:06 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Hello,

Check out www.flylady.com this web site was a lifesaver for me.....enjoy!

washing dishes

tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 10:27 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• my hubsband is very heavy sleeper, also sometimes on his days off he will be awake later and thats when i clean our room. dont worry you will eventually get a routine going i know its really hard to get used to that. i cant sleep in our bed by myself still and its been almost a year since he started working nights also 6 pm-6 am. i guess some things are harder to get used to.
    kd2kds

Answer by kd2kds at 10:28 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I try to do it when he's awake and I bring the baby in to play with him in the bedroom. That way, I'm still able to talk to him and I get to clean. No ideal, but it works. Sometimes I can convince him to help and get done quicker. But he gets to play with the baby, so it's ok.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 10:29 AM on Aug. 3, 2009