Does this make you want to take your children's pictures down?

All my profiles are private but this makes me think about taking my children's pictures down completely. A woman finds her own son for sale online in an adoption scam.

Link below

a_and_j_momma

Asked by a_and_j_momma at 11:04 AM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I did remove my slideshow, but there are still a few pics around of them. I dont have any info on where I live, only a few people know my real name and I am just not generally concerned about it. I am not going to live in fear and not be able to share my kids information with people. All it says is that they like basketball, ect ect. My pictures of my kids are so small that you wouldnt know them on the street if you saw them. I only had on picture on my slideshow of my daughter at the beach in her bathing suit and she was with a friend. They were jumping off the sand dunes so its not like it was revealing or anything. Be smart, but dont be paranoid.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 12:30 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 11:04 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• This is exactly why I don't understand how some people post all their kids info-names, and pictures especially naked pics of their kids on the internet. To me, its inviting trouble. When I see posts of whats your kids first and middle names or lets see them in their bathing suits. Doesn't take a genius to abuse parents naiveness
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I can 't even think of words to express how terrifying that is. It would certainly make me wonder what else they were planning to do to my baby--like kidnap him? My first reaction would be to move, change my name.... dang!
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 11:13 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I don't have any pictures of my son on here. I have been called a troll because of it but my son's pictures where taken from a private Yahoo group a few years ago. The person joined forums at MSN when they had groups and pretended to be me. It really sucked because she made up so many stories. I was called a liar by a few when I joined Cafemom some had encountered the person using my info and did not know what to believe. The woman that did this was a good friend she was very lonely and bored so she had multiple accounts in many groups using many others pictures.

My sister informed me when she came across "me" in a MSN group. The person was claiming they had triplets and had lost one of them. We both reported it to MSN and the account was taken down. The group was given no explaination by MSN unfortunately or even to the group owner. So I have to ignore those who hate the person that pretended to be me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I saw this on the news. Crazy....
    MandyOs

Answer by MandyOs at 11:27 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Honestly, No. I like participating in photo sharing, I do have my myspace pictures set to friends only and I think on here they are members only.. but that still allows a lot of access to his pictures to strangers. I'm just not that concerned that there is any REAL danger. Would it bug me to learn that someone used his pictures in a scam or inappropriate way, YES-- but where is the real danger?
    AMsMommy212

Answer by AMsMommy212 at 12:03 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I only have pics on my Myspace and it is set to private. I also only "friend" family and friends, never people I don't know. This woman's family blog was public. I feel bad for her, that must be an awful feeling! But I don't think I'll be taking my kids pics down.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:08 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Well, first, the son wasn't actually for sale. It's not like if I clicked on the ad, I could have purchased my son. Second, why blame well-meaning parents when some jackass is scamming people? I'm not taking my pictures down. That's the best way for our family in other states to see our daughter as she grows.

lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 12:21 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• lvpenuino you seem angry. Calm down. No duh her son wasn't actually for sale but he was being used in a scam. No one said you had to take your pictures down....if you want to keep them up and not private that's your call lol. It doesn't personally effect me.

AmsMommy-I have said the same thing as you have. What's the real harm? There's no actual real harm with someone pretending to have your child. I think it's odd but there's no actual harm. I think if that did happen to me that I'd be paranoid they knew more about me and my child than just a picture. I'm glad she found out. That would suck if the FBI came to her and said "we saw your child for sale"
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 12:25 PM on Aug. 3, 2009