Help me. I'm so sad.

My 6 yr. old will be in first grade this year. All day for the first time. I have all ways been home with all my kids. I now will have my days by myself. I'm not sure what to do with all this time so that I don't feel depressed or that I'm waisting my time, now. I think without them I'm a little lost. It's silly I know, but I am very sad over this. Has anyone else been here?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Aug. 3, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• There are always the three things- work, volunteer, and going back to school.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 11:20 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• You will probably feel a little "lost" at first, but there is so MUCH you can do to occupy your time in a productive way. You have devoted all your time to motherhood, how about taking up a new hobby for just yourself?? Also schools are ALWAYS in need of parent helper in the classroom, and around the school. MAybe that would be a way to still feel close to your child. Either way this is an exciting step in your life and the journey has only just begun. You will do great whatever you do, and if you need help, seek out family and friends, or a healthcare professional. I bet though that you might enjoy some "downtime" after years of being a stay at home mom!! Best of luck to you!!!
    kiddosX8

Answer by kiddosX8 at 11:24 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Oh boy. Do I ever know what you mean. When my youngest left for school the first time I had to force myself to get in the car and go shopping. It would have been easy for me to not go at all but to stay at home and feel badly. That is my recommendation for you, go out and shop, get lunch, walk around, whatever you need to do to get out of the house. Then go home and do laundry and clean, and by the time you're done, he'll be home again. It gets easier every day, so much so that in time when they are home because of snow or school closing, it seems strange at first. You can do it! You go girl!

Answer by Bmat at 11:34 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Yup, been there. You have to do something. I helped my mother clean some houses. Other mothers that have to go to work, and there children are in school. Take a couple of hours and clean their house. Nice pocket change for you, clean house for them, and your home in time to help your little one do his homework. . . On your days off, go shopping with your pocket change.
    zassymama2

Answer by zassymama2 at 11:55 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I am going to sound like the odd man (woman) out here....
    I am a SAHGM (stay at home grandmother) I have custody of my now 8 yr old gs whom I have had since his birth..
    I enjoy the alone time a lot around here during school days...
    I keep myself busy with the norm (housework and such) but I also love baking, crafting and reading... things that are pretty much put on the back burner during the summer...
    If I am needed at the school to volunteer I am there, but I enjoy the peace and quiet of no one home until 3PM...

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 12:36 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I just went thru this last year. I think the answer is to look inside yourself, think of what you'd do if you could do anything you wanted to do. Or what you'd love to do as say a part time job, just to get started. Never mind what it pays, go by what you're passionate about. Maybe it would mean volunteering. Or taking a workshop or class. Your world is wide open! Enjoy it! Take walks, go to the gym, take an art class, go to museums, make a list of what you like to do, places you like to go. It will come to you. Another aspect of this is: your kids will find you more interesting if you have something to talk about with them, and not just all the conversations about THEIR days, tell them what happens in your day too! I have a part time job and it's just enough to keep me busy and have adult contact. And still have time for all the house stuff, laundry, etc. Good luck to you!
    BunnyButterfly

Answer by BunnyButterfly at 10:46 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I feel ya I got twin girls that will be starting Kindergarden this year and will be gone all day! I got a 3 year old little girl also that will be at home with me but im going to miss them so much and im already not sleeping good and staying very upset in the day time. Im a sahm and my kids are my life. they are always with me no matter what. but Im going to try to stay strong for them.
    momof3wife

Answer by momof3wife at 4:33 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Your a mother, your always gonna be lost when your kids aren't there. Try to find some things to occupy your time while they are in school. I did a ton of volunteer work in my daughters class. If your child doesn't want you particularly in the classroom, there are tons of teachers that would appreciate the help. You could also try volunteering at senior citizens homes or hospitals. Or maybe you could get a part time job just to keep you busy. You could always try going back to school, as well.
    smadar

Answer by smadar at 5:54 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I was looking for someone in my situation. My daughter starts Kindergarten this month and I am sad everytime I think of it. I have even cried :) I am a stay at home mom and very attached to her, as she is to me. I am excited for her too but it will take me some time to get used to my baby being gone. I plan to get some yard work and painting done to keep my mind busy!! Good luck :)
    ivermom

Answer by ivermom at 7:40 PM on Aug. 4, 2009