Gardening question...turnips....

Hello ladies,

I am in need of some advice. As far as my garden we are in Illinois, Zone 5, and we planted early in June. 14 X 8 1/2 ft garden.

After planting, the garden was gorgeous. We had nice rows, very well plotted but now since everything has grown it's a bit of a mess. Our very first garden, so I am learning as I go.

One of the things I need to ask is...my turnips. They have incredibly long tops. The root, which I know makes the actual turnip, is bulbous toward the top, and then thins out as the root penetrates the ground.

I know our first problem was that we planted late, as the seedlings came up from the soil instead of thinning, we let them grow as long as we could. During the middle of July I began thinning them out. I could already see purple tops but I had let them go for a bit longer. Now I took one from the garden today and my husband took a bite. Saying it was bitter

truetigress

Asked by truetigress at 11:24 AM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I've never had turnips before, or I did when I was really too young to remember. I only remember purple tops, and it was white toward the roots.

So my question is this...

At this stage, the tops of the turnips are above ground. Is there any way to salvage this crop, any recipes that would take away the bitterness or will I have to try again next year?

Another question I have...

We bought three cherry tomato plants. Put tomato cages around each of them. We've got small green tomatoes up the whazoo in each plant and some are starting to turn yellow.

We have two yellow cherry tomato plants with a red one in the center. Shouldn't these be turning orange/yellow/ and red faster than they are, or will they burst into color this month? What is the ripening month?

Even with my Better boy and Big Boy tomato plants the fruit is still green...shouldn't it be time for them to gain color?

truetigress

Answer by truetigress at 11:28 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• We've had a wonderful crop of cucumbers and zucchini this year, and my yellow summer squash began bearing fruit the last week of last month. Some are still too tiny but it seems to only be a day before I'm out there picking them.

Also our onion bulb sets worked great but all they created was green onions. Although the bulb set package said it could be either yellow onions (the bulbs you cook with) or green onions...was there something I should have done to create the bulbs? I replanted them again last month, green shoots are sprouting upward so I am wondering if I picked them too soon.

Carrots are still slivers. Again with them I started to thin them out about the time I thinned out the turnips. Have I messed them up or do you think they might have a chance yet to grow?

My first garden, so I expect issues, but everyone I have met have raved about our garden. I know next year we will plant things further apart tha
    truetigress

Answer by truetigress at 11:29 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• than we did this time. Not so many seedlings either. We also planted rows of yellow squash instead of mounds. My husband wanted to "try it and see what happens"...so we did. We are also going to extend the garden a few more feet north so we can plant more things.

Okay Thank you so much for the replies...I look forward to taking action to save some plants in my garden *S*
    truetigress

Answer by truetigress at 11:30 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• The tomatoes should be ripening any time, I wouldn't worry about those.

Don't know about turnips, sometimes vegetables get bitter from disease or from not enough water.

If you plant the onions far enough apart they should make onions, maybe not until later in the year, but I remember onions by this time. if you replanted them that may have disturbed their growing.

Keep the carrots thinned. Make sure the vegetables have an inch of rain every week. If you have to water, water deeply, better to water once a week than a little every day. If your ground is heavy (clay) then it would discourage root crops, be sure next year to work in aged manure or compost.

Gardens are great. So fulfilling. And such an experience to walk outside and think now what shall we have for supper tonight. :)

Answer by Bmat at 11:43 AM on Aug. 3, 2009