teething question

i think my 5 month old daughter is teething. she was freaking out today so i put a dab of baby orajel on her gums and within 5 minutes she wasnt crying. but then she got drowsy and fell asleep in her dads arms.
was it the orajel that made her sleepy, or was she just relieved?
i dont want to use it often if it has that kind of effect on her, you know?
also ive heard people talking about teething tablets, what are these and where can i find them??

BambiF

Asked by BambiF at 11:25 AM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can get the tablets at like walmart or walgreens they are in the baby asle or sometimes by the pharmacy.
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 11:26 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Orajel does have a sedating effect. It has side effects. Teething tablets may seem like an easy answer, but a lot of them contain caffeine! ALL of them contain belladonna. Belladonna is a poisonous plant. Not a lot of belladonna is used in teething tablets, but why go with that when there are lots of alternatives? Teething rings, frozen waffles, fruits.....when my son is really in pain I give him a little bit of Tylenol and it always works. :) Your baby will be fine without teething tablets.
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 11:27 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• u can get them at walmart but they didnt work for my dd. I used to just give her tylenol, because it took away the pain but didnt numb her gums so she was able to cut her teeth quicker.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 11:27 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• pediatrician here- i don't suggest orajel for babies at all, it burns their gums and toughens the gums making it actually harder for the teeth to break through, stick with teething tablets, you can get them at walmart and target HYLANDS teething tablets, also moody don't equal teething, usually has runny diapers/diaper rash/ red swollen gums/ refusal to eat/drink and sometimes a low grade fever although that one cant be proven to be part of teething.
    hottietottie455

Answer by hottietottie455 at 11:30 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• No, Orajel doesn't make them sleepy. I would say she fell asleep because she was finally relieved of some pain. Orajel does not last long at all. With my son Motrin was the life saver. I also used his mesh feeder and would put ice or frozen fruit in it. I never used teething tablets.
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 11:32 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• also when she hits 6 months use ibuprofen NOT Tylenol IB is for inflammation and Tylenol is better for just fevers
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• whoops didnt mean to be anon
    hottietottie455

Answer by hottietottie455 at 11:34 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• when you say frozen waffles...do you mean like eggos lol??is that ok for a 5 month old?
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 11:38 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• well id say no real solids really till 6 months BUT that i guess is up to the parents discretion
    hottietottie455

Answer by hottietottie455 at 11:43 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• thanks alot. some great advice
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 11:52 AM on Aug. 3, 2009