I need help losing weight.

I gained a LOT of weight with my daughter 7 months ago. I lost quite a bit right off hand, but I still have 15 lbs to my pre-preg weight, and would like to lose and extra 20 on top of that to get my BMI within healthy range.

I drink a lot of water. I do not drink sugary drinks (except the occasional Diet Coke). I drink coffee with skim milk. I hardly ever eat, and when I do, it's healthy. I exercise.

What am I doing wrong here? I haven't been able to lose any weight since my daughter was 2 months old. I'm 5'2" and weigh 190 lbs. I would like to get down to about 140 at LEAST.

Do I need to start taking pills?? Because this is starting to look impossible, and it's AGGRAVATING! My husband doesn't even look at me the same anymore.

Mick86Sara

Asked by Mick86Sara at 11:32 AM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Just for Fun

• No I don't consider "walking" as exercise. I'm talking about hardcore aerobics and dance as my exercise, 5 times a week. I also WAS eating normal meals up until about 2 months ago, and a bit of snackage in between, nothing serious. Now I just don't eat because eating wasn't helping anything. I eat maybe 1 meal a day now.
    Mick86Sara

Answer by Mick86Sara at 12:05 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Perhaps since you said you "hardly ever eat", part of the problem is that your body could be in starvation mode and reserving its fat stores. You need to eat in the proper caloric range--google calorie calculators to find out how many calories you should be eating per day to maintain your weight, then you need to find a way to cut 300-600 per day off of that. Also, you mention exercise, but you didn't what exactly you were doing. Personal story--I was quite chunky a few years ago, and I thought I was doing enough exercise--I was walking for about 2-3 miles per day, pushing a stroller. I figured that was exercising, but it wasn't really. I mean, it was better than doing nothing, but it wasn't enough to jump start weight loss. I only started losing after getting serious about exercise--doing intense cardio, moderate weight training, etc. I work out--HARD--60-80 minutes per day, 5 days per week. It's killer, but it works.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Well, first of all it is important to realize that your body has undergone drastic changes and it is impossible to get to the pre-pregnancy stage again. You might lose your weight, but your bone structure is probably going to be a little different. If your baby was born naturally, this cause your hips and your pelvic area to become wider than it was before, It's only normal. As far as the actual weight, just wait until that baby starts to become mobile. You will lose the weight by keeping up with him. You can also join a gym, see if there is a personal trainer there that can set you on the right path. Something else I learned, the more you think you cannot do it, the harder it becomes. Don't stress so much. You can try Weight Watchers or Jenny Craig as well- they teach you the correct way to eat.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:01 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Don't take pills. They are so dangerous. You should eat more. Six small healthy meals a day will boost your metabolism and start weight training, this will also speed up your metabolism. Buy some Slim Fast, so if you ever just don't feel like eating, drink a shake so you are still getting what your body needs. Good luck!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:03 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Please don't take pills!!!
    My daughter is 22 months old and since 4 months I am finally back to my pre-pregnancy weight!
    I was nursing my daughter for 11 months and I did not loose any weight while breastfeeding her. But after she was weaned off the breast I started on a diet. I ate oatmeal and fruits for breakfast, substituted my lunch with a can of slimfast. I was snacking on fresh fruits or rice crackers and had a regular dinner (I just made sure I ate more veggies than starches). I started go running twice a week and go swimming laps in the pool 3 times a week. I also do 200 crunches a day and 50 push-ups! I'm fitter and feel better then ever before! Just stay on a healthy diet and do your exercise and you will drop the pounds!
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 1:05 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• If nothing seems to be working, maybe try Weight Watchers at least until you get a jumpstart on your weight loss. I've never been but have friends that have been helped tremendously by going and after they learned the basic idea and lost the first little bit of weight, they've been able to do it themselves to continue losing and maintaining.

Answer by missanc at 1:27 PM on Aug. 3, 2009