dating and financials

How long do you have to wait to know financial info about someone you are dating? I dont want to be stuck with a bunch of debt or someone who cant handle money. How long into the dating relationship is it ok to get this info. My exhusband lied alot about his financial situation and I have paid dearly in cleaning up his mess. When I find someone I would like to know what i am getting into financially but it seems too personal to ask and once you know them and fall for them it seems to late. Its not about how much they make its about how they spend compared to how much they make. Any ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:00 PM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Just for Fun

• When it gets serious and you are talking about moving in togehter or getting married.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:25 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I watched every guy I dated from the first date. You can tell a lot by his spending habits. I never wanted a guy who would go blow a bunch of money for nothing - it doesn't impress me and I think it's a waste. I also know that my kids are priority one for me, so I made sure I knew a lot about his financial affairs before we got serious. Some things you can tell - does he own his house or does he rent, does he lease his car or did he buy it, listen to things he says for clues about how he handles finances, etc. And I was free with him about my financial details - not my social security number or anything, but I did not hide that I had credit card debt from my 1st marriage or that i was currently renting b/c i couldn't afford to buy a house, etc

Answer by missanc at 1:03 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• missanc has very good advise. I too think you have to watch them. Watch how they spend money on themselves, you and their family. Helping him pick out a gift for his mother will tell you a lot about his priorities.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:33 PM on Aug. 3, 2009