if your kids wear uniforms...how much of each thing do you buy?

Do you buy enough uniforms so they have one for every day of the week or not?
I was just wondering because people keep saying how expensive it is (and uniforms can be expensive...ours are) and I can see how that would be astronomical if you bought one of everything for every single day of the week.

I have 3 kids in Catholic school and my son has 3 pairs of pants, 2 short sleeve shirts, 2 long sleeve shirts and a gym uniform (they have gym 1-2 days a week and wear their gym clothes to school that day).
I bought my oldest 1 jumper and 3 short sleeve blouses and eventually 2 long sleeve blouses. Then I had several jumpers donated and bought 1 sweater.
The girls share jumpers now and can usually go all week without destroying them (wearing the same one every day).
When I was in school my parents bought me 1 jumper/skirt and that was it. I wore it every day.

justanotherjen

Asked by justanotherjen at 12:01 PM on Aug. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• We bought my son (going into kindergarten) 3 pairs of pants, 3 shirts, 2 gym outfits and I plan on getting him 1 pair of sweatpants to wear over his gym shorts on cold days and probably 2 sweatshirts. I try to do at least 1 load of laundry every day so he won't need any more than that, and that also gives me a little cushion in case I fall behind on washing clothes. We got most of them through the school used and had to buy just a couple of things new so it wasn't very expensive for us.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 12:07 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Ugh I just typed everything out for you and it didn't post lol so here I go again.

I bought 5 outfits. My son's school allowed dark green, blue, or white polos and khaki or blue slacks. So some of the outfits were interchangable. I bought 2 long sleeved shirts because it's cold here. I only bought 2 pairs of shorts. I bought 2 vests but he never wore them. Be sure to check with your school and see if they buy uniforms from you if they children have outgrown them. Our school would buy the uniforms that children outgrew then you'd buy from the the next size for cheap
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 12:10 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I plan to give away the girls' uniforms when they don't fit anyone anymore (I still have one that hasn't started school yet). They were hand me downs that were hand me downs to another parents and are still in good condition. My son wears the knees out in his pants so I can't pass them to anyone. I have to replace all his uniforms this year because he outgrew them. He'll need 3 pair of pants (at like $30 each but they are guaranteed to last the whole year...his last set lasted a year and a half before he outgrew them) and 2 short sleeve shirts. When it gets cold I get him some long sleeve shirts. They each have a school hoodie, too, which they are allowed to wear in class from Nov-Jan. His gym uniform should have lasted another year or so but he's got a hole in the knee. I'll patch it and wait for it to really wear out before buying him a new pair (he also has gym shorts for warm weather).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:51 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• We only have one ds so we kind of stocked up, he goes to a private Christian school.. He has about 9 pair of pants (various colors of navy, tan and a darker tan color). 6 or so pairs of shorts. 6 short sleeve shirts. 8 long sleeve shirts. 2 sweat shirt style shirts (he can layer over the long or short sleeve depending on the weather but he HATES wearing those heavy shirts so I only got him 2 of those) and 1 lightweight jacket.
    This way I know he has something to wear for a couple of days to cover when I send the rest out to the dry cleaners.
    Melindakc

Answer by Melindakc at 4:57 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I don't have school age kids yet, just wanted to share this website that has uniforms for a good price www.childrenswearoutlet.com
    jkrew

Answer by jkrew at 5:00 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• when I was a kid, things were tight, but my parents put me and my bro in private school for a year when we lived in a city where the schools were bad... I had two jumper dresses and 2 different colors of shirts. My mom did a load of laundry each night. We all wore the same thing, so kids didn't know if we had one uniform or ten.
    Kat770

Answer by Kat770 at 9:18 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• 5 short sleeve shirts, 2-3 long. 5 pair of pants. 2 pairs of capris. Then 2-3 skirts, jumpers.

mommybug77

Answer by mommybug77 at 9:09 AM on Aug. 4, 2009