• In the Spotlight:

What is your opinion on getting the flu vaccine?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:15 PM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Kids' Health

• The same with the regular flu vaccine. I get the flu shot because of where I work and I would hate to take that back to my family. I did not receive the flu shot until this year because I wanted them to work out the kinks. I don't get the flu shot for my children because they are not exposed like I am (I work in a Children's Hospital).
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 12:18 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I said no for my 1 year old because she has already had enough vaccinations I will get her one a year after the age of 3. I am required to get h1n1 and flu vac 1 a year
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 12:19 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• my dd gets it every year, she was preemie and her health is more compromised because of her complication, so I don't hesitate for her to get it bcuz if she got the flu it would be life threatening for her, for the first year of her life she also had to get the RSV shot every month
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:25 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• My children are 100% vaccine free.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:32 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• None of us get the shot...I dont think Ive EVER got it & Ive think Ive had the flu once...
    I know people who get the shot & still end up getting the flu..
    Just because there is a vaccine for something, doesnt mean we should actually be vaccinated for it...
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 12:33 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• My kids and I get the flu shot. My son is a severe asthmatic and I feel that I would be neglectful to not protect him against the possiblity of getting another respiratory infection
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 1:30 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Vaccines scare me - we don't get it

Answer by missanc at 1:49 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• they are unnecessary for anyone with a normal, healthy immune systems and without any underlying medical issues.

My daughter had (probable) H1N1 a few weeks ago. It is truly no worse than a typical winter virus. Doctors are no longer testing for it, as it is so widespread. They are only prescribing the anti-viral meds for high risk patients, as the risk of serious side effects outweigh the (relatively) mild flu symptons

Answer by rkoloms at 3:15 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• We don't get it (or any other shot for that matter). We take preventative measures to not contract it. Even if we did, we're all very healthy, and therefore have to reason to fear adverse reactions to the virus.

I worked in a family practice office for 3 years and only once did I get the shot. I never got the flu. Or any of those other nasty things I was exposed to in the office. And I didn't bring them home to my family either. I personally believe that if you're healthy, it's unnecessary.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 3:37 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Never ever. My daughter had the flu vaccine and she was hospitlized when she got the flu that year (eye roll). My baby, who had never recieved a vaccine... at 7 months old caught flu type b. No vomitting. Just a mild fever and a smile the whole time. The vaccines hadn't depressed her immune system. Her body fought it off wonderfully.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 4:32 PM on Aug. 3, 2009