Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 7 yo step daughter is being abused and CPS wont help...

...because its not physical abuse so we cant prove it. I know for a fact her mother mentally and emotianolly abuses her. I have seen it first hand. We are in the midle of a custody battle and I could just get CPS to make the case she would be ours. The have tried to do counceling for her but around her if your are on state medical if they see you ones and you act fine they say your fine. They dont take the time to see her in a bad faze. Also she has trust issues from all of this so she wont tell the counceler everything and they wont allow me or her dad in there with her and we are the only ones who can get her to talk. How can CPS not care?! I dont get it! Isnt it there job?! Has anyone had a similer experience? What did you do?


Asked by belljaz at 12:33 PM on Aug. 3, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (17)
  • a_and_j_momma

    Answer by a_and_j_momma at 12:59 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

  • Ok what you need to do is get her into a child counselor and KEEP her in it... your sdd will talk soon enough and the counselor can be a witness...
    Also DO NOT give up on the custody fight... this will also show your sdd that her father does care and wants her...
    It's not going to be easy either... Just keep reassuring your sdd that things are going to be fine and that she can always talk to you or her father no matter what the topic is...
    As for CPS is concern, no at times they don't care (been thru a lot of bs with them myself)
    Just keep on them... keep making the complaints... document everything with your sdd, her emotions, actions, what her mother says and does to her infront of you... I mean time, day/date etc...someone will listen sooner or later...

    Good Luck

    Answer by gmasboy at 12:41 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

  • work with the mom not against her! talk about it but not nastily and not in court or Cps

    Answer by 2mothershelpers at 12:43 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

  • Ask the judge to order a guardian ad litem. It will cost you some money but ask them to make the mom split the cost. A guardian ad litem will observe the child in each home, do research, etc.

    Answer by a_and_j_momma at 12:44 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

  • What in your mind accounts for emotional abuse? This is a vast question?

    Answer by 2mothershelpers at 12:44 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

  • we have to know more details to know if this is really abuse or just mom had a bad day!

    Answer by 2mothershelpers at 12:45 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

  • I would try and keep mother and child together,think about it b4 you jump into this head first it is a very sensitive thing to try take a child away from the mom!

    Answer by 2mothershelpers at 12:47 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

  • To 2mothershelpers- Her mother no longer speaks to us because we filed on her in the first place. We are lucky if we even get to see SD more then once a month.

    To gmasboy- We were documenting everything we posibally could for awhile before she disided to keep her from us. We are really pushing the custody thing. That seems to be the only way we can get anything done. Its insain that CPS could just ignore a situation like this. It may not be physical but in my own experience mental abuse is 10 times worse then physical. Cuts and bruses heal but emotional issues dont.

    Answer by belljaz at 12:48 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

  • Meantal abuse- She pupously ignores her. Calls her names. Tells her her little sister is better then her. Sometimes it goes physical and she refuses to let her eat or go to the bathroom. The list goes on.

    Answer by belljaz at 12:51 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

  • How much do you think a gurdian ad litem will cost? What if she refuses to pay for half?

    Answer by belljaz at 12:52 PM on Aug. 3, 2009