Would it bother you if SO family comments on your weight?

My SO father and grandmother ALWAYS make comments on my weight. When I eat, his dad tells me to slow down or stop eating because I'm going to gain more weight, etc. Grandmother does the same and I dont know how to respond. My SO is VERY close to his fam and I dont know how to deal with this without getting HIM mad at ME!!! Anyone have the same thing happen to them? How to you respond and deal with it???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:40 PM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Relationships

• I'd say its time for your SO to grow a set and defend the woman he loves. My issue would be with HIM, not them.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 12:41 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• My hubby would NOT tolerate that sort of thing. It's one thing to say something like that out of concern once or twice but it sounds like they are doing it in a very disrespectful way and my hubby would say something about that if his family was being that way to me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:43 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I AM SURE THEY MEAN WELL BEING OVERWEIGHT IS NOT HEALTHY, BUT IT CAN GET ANNOYING!! RESPOND BY DOING SOME WEIGHT LOSS FOR YOURSELF NOT THEM. THEY ARE RIGHT ABOUT EATING SLOW, IT GIVES YOUR BRAIN SIGNALS QUICKER ABOUT BEING FULL, CUT DOWN PORTIONS EXCERCISE. TRY TO TAKE IT AS CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM, SLAP THEM IN THE FACE WITH SOME WEIGHT LOSS!

Answer by older at 12:44 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• UM I would be super pissed and tell them to mind their own damn weight. Tell hubby he needs to step up, insulting his wife like that is unacceptable.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 12:45 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• been there, it really strained our marriage bcuz hubby never would stick up for me...his family is all super skinny, I gained weight due to depression after our daughter passed away and medication to help me cope didn't help, Even before I gained a lot of weight I wasn't pencil thin, but I wasn't fit (I guess average), they would always tell me, "were you ever thin or are you always like this". Ugh..I know how you feel. I completely cut them out of my life because they would even tell me to just get over it (about my duaghter dying), now I have lost weight due to medication changes and lots of water and exercise, we talk now but I still keep my distance
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:46 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I would ask my SO to speak to his family and ask them to stop commenting on my weight. Some people are completely oblivious to what comes out of their mouths!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:48 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I HAVE spoken to him about it, it actually made me cry because I'm very sensitive about my weight. I gained a lot when I was pregnant and my DD is 3 months now and I havent lost all the weight.....He just makes excuses for his family saying they are old and I should just basically get over it. Didnt make me feel better at all =(
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:55 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Your dh will not say anything to his family when they make comments like that. You must be the one to stick up for yourself. In responding to the sly comments on your weight, handle it with grace. "Let them know that hubby isn't complaining therefore my weight is fine." You have to learn to deal with people the way they deal with you or your feelings will always be hurt and hubby will always stick up for his family...Don't allow someone else's rude behavior affect you in no way...
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 1:35 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• So if my DH ever even LET something like that come out of his dad's or gma's mouth, it'd be the last time we were over there until an apology and attitude adjustment.

Since your SO apparently hasn't said anything to them, the most you can do is say something yourself, semi-snapping back, to let them know you won't take any more of it...

But, I guarantee you, I'd let my SO know that it won't be tolerated, and the next time it happens he'd better correct the problem, or you're going to jet. Why would you want to ever consider being with a person if they can't take up for you? How can you expect to make a life together when his family is constantly bringing you down in front of him? If they don't like you, tough stuff. But you need to decide whether or not it's something worth staying around for.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 1:41 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• honestly, id lose the weight. ha
    evilive

Answer by evilive at 1:55 PM on Aug. 3, 2009