Quad Screening Positive/ Had Amnio- Awaiting results

Hello, I am new to this site and I am just hoping that people on here won't be too judgemental-

I had the quad screening done for my little boy- I am 17w 4d now. I had my Ultrasound on Friday. I was 17w1d. They said that my sons neck seemed thicker then normal and there was a marker in his heart which brought them to believe that I should have the Amnio done.

Well we did it on Friday- Now they say wait till monday and we'll call you with the fluids result which is 99% accurate and then I'll have to wait 2 weeks for the ACTUAL 100% results, but basically the results Ill get today by phone will tell me what my results are for my lil one having Downs!

I am scared out of my mind. I am highly considering Terminating if they can tell me 100% that he has downs. I keep going back and forth on what I would do- I am soo lost I dont know what to think.

Anyone had this? Any help would be great! Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:44 PM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Im sorry about the possible bad news but a baby is a baby no matter what its condition. I know u will find the right answer for yourself and gl in whatever decision u make.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:49 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• try to stay calm until results-i know impossible right!
    i had quad screening, it said 1 in 20 that ny daughter would have downs
    and amnio and results were neg, she did not
    got send to heart doc to scan her heart issues reg doc thought she had, she was alao just perfect
    so you have to wait for the results of the accurate test
    it will seem like forever-i am sure

as for terminating if you have bad results, this has to be your choice (and husband)
    do not feel pressure from anyone else, this is the most personal choice a person can make, and I would have been faced with this if my results were bad, i would have considered and honestly do not know what i would have done

you are in my prayers
    and remember the outcome has yet to be determined, these first tests really tell you nothing, except to make you worry

my daughter is 2 and she had bad quad results, she could not be more healthy

good luck and G
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 12:51 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• hope you have someone with you today
    are you alone when you get a doc call?
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 12:55 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Very good advice.

If you don't have someone with you today you should. That waiting is so painful. I hope you have good news, but even if you don't, consider how you'll feel in the years to come no matter what your choice is.

Answer by Bmat at 12:59 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• and kept "us" posted
    we love good news
    and if it is bad news, there are so many moms on here, you are sure to find comfort in a mom that has been though same experience

just ignore any comments that are judgemental, rude, nasty or painful (there are ALL kinds of people on this site, most are very helpful and understanding, but some hide behind a screen and do not think of others feeling)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:06 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I never got the quad screening, because I know how false they can come up, that and it wouldn't matter to me anyways.

I hope for the best outcome for you, and definatly keep "us" all updated as to what happens!
    Skye-Angel

Answer by Skye-Angel at 2:59 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Hello, I know exactly how you're feeling. I had my Quad markers come back positive for 2 of my children. I had the Amnio for both, and luckily I had all healthy babies. I know it's stressful waiting for the results - I cried a lot, did a lot of research on-line, talked to friends and family, etc... Personally, I was keeping the baby regardless of the results, but you have to decide what's right for you and your situation. Would you consider adoption vs termination - at 17 weeks your baby is almost viable outside the womb?? I know when I had my Quad screening they gave me a # that predicts your chances - what was yours? Did they do the 3D ultrasound, and if so what did they say about your percentage - did it go up, down, or stay the same? I'm running out of room to post more info so feel free to contact me if you'd like to talk more. Best of Luck and try to think positive thoughts :-)
    4bridges

Answer by 4bridges at 4:46 PM on Aug. 3, 2009