How do you get a tired toddler to go back to bed when they wake up early?

My son is 2 1/2 and he will get up sometimes around 5:30 or 6 to go potty! Which is awesome that he's not peeing the bed but he's still very tired but he sees that the sun is up so he won't go back to bed. Then he's crabby and cries for no reason. The morning is then pretty much shot and we can't go any where or do much of anything until his nap time. He also went go down for his nap until his usual nap time at 1 either.

kittykat1919

Asked by kittykat1919 at 12:44 PM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We have blackout shades in the bedrooms and when they are down it shuts out most of the light. So it's normally not hard to get my kids back to bed, I just tell them it's still bedtime and lay them back down. This morning my 2 1/2 year old woke up early when he heard daddy getting ready for work and I let him lay in my bed with me, not something I normally do but he sleeps really well in my bed :-)
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 12:48 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I ahve the same issue..my son is also 2 1/2 and does the same darn thing some days and he is potty trained too...wow good question..idk what to tell you i just try to but a movie on in his room and try to go back to bed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:46 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Lay down with him, cuddle him, that is what I used to have to do with my ODS because he would do the SAME thing! Tell him it's not morning time yet, we have to lay down! I still have to do this sometimes because they (ODS and MDS, 6 and 4 year olds) like to be up soooo early!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 12:48 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I should say now that they are 6 and 4, they can play QUIETLY in their room, if they can't be quiet then they have to go back to bed. I personally don't have or want a tv in their room...use that time to cuddle with them...I love it!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 12:50 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• i let them curl up next to me or i put the baby gate up and sleep on there floor while they play sometimes i'll put on a 30minute show and also the shade idea is a good one!
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 12:56 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I have tried cuddling with him both in his bed and mine and I just end up falling asleep and he gets up anyway and plays and gets into things he shouldn't. He has black outs on his window and once he walks to the bathroom he doesn't want to go back to his room. I usually end up turning on the TV and sometimes he will lay on the couch with me. I end up falling asleep and he watches TV. However, he is still tired and crabby!
    kittykat1919

Answer by kittykat1919 at 1:04 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• my son is almost 21 months old, and those he's not getting up to pee, he wakes at 4:30 sometimes and crys.. not sure why he's waking but there's nothing I have found either to make him go back to bed. He wont' even cuddle with me either - I basically deal with a crabby child til 6 when he seems to snap out of it.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:12 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Since you have the room already dark does he have a little potty that you could bring to his room just for the early morning time. Maybe then he won't see the sunlight and tell him that it is still bedtime. Have him go potty and then put him right back into bed and tell him that it is too early to wake up and leave. If he throws a fit let him for a while before getting him up. I would just keep telling him that it is too early and you will get him up when it is time he might scream for a few days but he will eventually understand that he is not getting up that early and might even fall back to sleep.
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 1:29 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I've read about someone buying one of those cheap plastic clocks, taking off the back, coloring the time that you say it's okay to wake in the morning with green, then the rest of the time with red. You can hang it in his room, and let him know when the little hand is on the green, he can wake up and go out of his room, if it's on the red color, then it's still night night time. Good luck hon. ;)
    kksmomma1019

Answer by kksmomma1019 at 2:28 PM on Aug. 3, 2009