would you rather see a pregnant woman smoke if it ment keeping her profesional/mental life stable, or not? repost

I have a friend who recently got pregnant, she is a teacher, in a VERY rocky relationship, stressed beyond words, adn VERY deppressed.
Now she is stressing about the smoking situation, she wants to quit because she knows its best, but doesnt want to because she knows the stress could cause more harm than good-
she is suffering from depression, and since getting pregnant had to be taken off her meds, she is possibly getting a divorce, and due to start teaching again in less than a month.
I told her that although I dont agree with my own advice, I would rather see her mental health ok, and take the small risk of preterm labor or low birth weight, than see her go off the deep end and loose her job, or freak out, or worse.
Any suggestions, and how do U feel about the situation

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:54 PM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I would say it depends on HOW MUCH she smokes. More than a pack a day is dangerous, and that's where most of the risks come in (from what my doctor told me when I was pregnant with my DS). If she can cut down to less than half a pack a day (if she's even smoking that much) it would greatly reduce those risks.
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 12:57 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Never, no way
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:57 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I agree with you if her mental state is that way and divorce is on the rise i would smoke I wanted to continue smoking because it was a stress relief but my in laws said no and so did my husband and they tried not to stress me out but i do agree with your way of thinking
    newmom183

Answer by newmom183 at 12:57 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• she needs to talk to her doc because if she quits suddenly it might startle things, but i quit when i was pregnant, for 9 mo i could hang without a cig for the sake of my children and i started smoking when they were 3 mo. there will always be stress in her life but this is really her one chance to do things right
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 1:01 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I hate seeing pregnant women with a cigarette hanging out of their mouth. When I was like 8 months pregnant, this other pregnant chick asked me if I had a cigarette. I was disgusted, not only that she wanted one, but she thought that I might have one. It's always best to quit no matter what.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:01 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I think if she's going to prenatal visits and talks to her doctor about the smoking and the situations at hand so he/she knows what to expect with the labor, then it should be fine. The doc should be able to work wtih her and offer other options or maybe preventative measures. There's a cigarrete on the market that you hold and puff but does't contain nicatine. That could be an option. But I do agree that mental help is more beneficial to the pregnancy than the lack of smoking. maybe she could cut back but still have one a day or week, etc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:02 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• The welfare of the baby has to come first. This is something she must discuss with her doctor.

Answer by Bmat at 1:06 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• She is going to be responsible for another human being. These nine months are very important to the life and well being of her baby. She needs to deal with her issues. It's now about the baby. There are other ways calm down Exercise if a great way to destress. A long walk and a few prayers may be just the thing for her. Get rid of the smokes for good. It is not healthy for a child to be around smoke either. It will still be an issue. She can get the gum or other helps if she needs them. grannywilson
    grannywilson

Answer by grannywilson at 1:08 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Okay, she is already in the situation, so she has to do the best she can. BUT why the hell does anybody under that age of 50 smoke in the first place?!? How much of a sheep do you have to be and what kind of people are you hanging out with to take up that habit with everything we know and have known since before all the current day "child bearing age" women were born. IMO unless you got hooked during WWII there is NO reason for anybody to be smoking.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:17 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Absolutely not. I'm not a smoker, and myself, don't agree with it at all. I prefer to manage my own feelings and conquer my demons on my own. I don't need a crutch, and I don't feel anyone else needs one either. But that's the stubborn brat in me.

I quit taking BC even, because I had to take anti-depressants to keep off the emotional rollercoaster.

I would support the friend in any decision, but I would not advocate smoking, especially during pregnancy.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 1:19 PM on Aug. 3, 2009