Ok I can't even figure out how to put the base of the car seat in! I feel like a horrible mommy

finallyamom40

Asked by finallyamom40 at 12:55 PM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Aww, it's ok! They're so complicated nowadays! Do you have the LATCH system in your car? That's supposed to make it easier, but idk. My car has it and I still haven't figured it out lol so I just use the seat belt. Check around in your area, sometimes the police or fire station offer car seat checks and they'll help you put it in correctly.
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 12:58 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• laugh out loud with me and so many moms and dads who can not figure those things out
    you are not a bad mom because you can not figure it out, 'they' say a huge % of car seats are put in wrong, so you are a great mom for making sure it is correct
    give yourself a break, at lot of things will be strange and new and frightening, frightening because you want what is best for your child

you should have seen me giving my baby a bath the first few times, i was terrified, i can laugh now, but then i felt horrible, does not mean you are a bad mom

bad moms do NOT worry
    good moms worry all the time

hospital will make sure car seat in is correctly
    if you have left hospital, local fire station will help gladly

you are fine!
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 1:01 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Do you have the latch system? If you do, see if down in between the seats you can feel the "hooks or anchors," they should be right next to the seatbelts. On the base there's those two little things that stick out from the side (the actual hooks). Don't push the red button down when connecting the two because that opens the clasp. It's a little tricky to get it to hook on there but keep messing with it and it will. The hospital will not let you leave without the carseat installed properly so they'll help you there if needed
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 1:05 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Yeah, those things can be tricky. Did the manual come with pictures? Sometimes that helps, but other times it just makes it worse! There should be a slot to slide the seat belt or the latch through. That part will be closest to the seat. Then either buckle or attach the latches to each side of the seat (there are spots in the base of the car seat (not the infant one,the car one) that the latch attaches too. THen thighten. Then tighten some more. Than stand on base and pull belt/latch even tighter. Then yell and scream and find nearest strong man to make you feel even weaker. Laught at him as he struggles too. Take one last stab. Give up and hope it's tight enough. Stop by police station or car seat inspection place and let them do it right. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:10 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I took ours to the fire station and had a very handsome fireman install it for me. He was kneeling on the thing to tighten the strap. At eight months pregnant, I could barely get in the backseat of the car, let alone do that!
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 1:15 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Make sure to take it to someone who is certified..just a random fireman or police man won't do neither will a hospital..it must be carseat technician.

http://www.seatcheck.org/
    http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/CPS/CPSfitting/index.cfm

those sites will tell you where to find your local technician
    75% of carseats are incorrectly installed, you are not alone.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 1:45 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I know in my area, its like a 3 month wait to get into the firestations that are certified to do it. If you have a friend with kids, they may be able to help you out.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 2:17 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• "Make sure to take it to someone who is certified..just a random fireman or police man won't do neither will a hospital..it must be carseat technician.

http://www.seatcheck.org/

75% of carseats are incorrectly installed, you are not alone. "

THIS!!! Car seat safety is of the utmost importance!!! Even if it takes 3 months, make the appointment, and follow the manual exactly as it states in the mean time.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 3:07 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• don't feel bad. My oldest is 3.5 and youngest is 5 months. I don't take my husbands truck anywhere because I am scared if I take out the carseats from my car I won't be able to get them back in right.

I really like http://www.seatcheck.org/ that was posted above. When I got a new seat for my daugheter I had the store put it in my trunk and took it to someone I found on there and he installed it for me. I was lucky and was able to make an appointment within a week. Other places have walk-in days.
    tash11

Answer by tash11 at 8:24 PM on Aug. 7, 2009