The Swine Flu, The Pneumonic Plague in China, and a new strain of the HIV...does anyone find it strange that all of these things have developed lately?

I was just reading a story on Yahoo! about an entire town in China that has been quarantined due to 12 ppl being infected and 2 dying from the Pnuemonic plague. I also glanced at a story about a new strand of the HIV virus that was recently discovered in someone. And of course we all know about the deadly swine flu that has been going around here. Does this stuff concern anyone else?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:03 PM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:09 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• it seems like everything in this world has taken a turn for the worse, and I mean everything! its really kind of scary...it makes me think its all building up to something bad that will happen in 2012...gosh I need to stop watching the history channel! lol damn Nostradamus program..
    Italiancouture7

Answer by Italiancouture7 at 1:10 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Italiancouture7, you know I hadn't even thought about that whole 2012 thing. That's an interesting thought though.-OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:19 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Think about it...you start with a strain of bacteria or virus and develop a vaccine or antibiotic to kill it. Only that doesn't kill ALL of the germs and makes the surviving ones evolve and adapt. In other words, makes the germs stronger. Then you make everything from soap to inkpens with antibacterial crap in it...again kills some, makes others even stronger. And just as we have evolved so do microbes, even without us always trying to kill them off. Therefore, no it does not surprise me that there are even deadlier microbes out there. Between the places that are "too clean" (the USA, for example) and places that are still "dirty" (like 3rd world countries) we will be dealing with lots of new bacteria/viruses.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:32 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I agree with Italiancoutoure but also believe we're growing up in the "every 100 years is disaster" time. Unfortunately, it's time for all this stuff to happen. Did you hear about the tainted vaccine in E. Europe? http://www.torontosun.com/news/canada/2009/02/27/8560781.html

And a trial vaccine being tested on African kids? Could you pick a more uneducated group of people to try a new vaccine on? So if the kids die in Africa, who cares? They are dispensible?

And what about HIV? First tested on monkeys in Africa and a trial brought to NYC (Chelsea) and tested on the gay people there?

Can we even begin to imagine if our government is considering population control, money for the drug companies and that they man NOT be protecting us? Swine flu vaccine is a perfect example.

Scary as hell.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:41 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• it does concern me, but what really gets me is the fact that they said the new strain of aids came from a gorilla to human contact with some woman. did she get bit or sleep with the gorilla is the really boggling thing to think about.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 1:55 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Not shocking our overuse of vaccinations and antibiotics is helping this along. Those of us who have not vaccinated our children and are not vaccinated ourselves will be fine. We have an immune system that actually works. I worry for those that are over vaccinated and take antibiotics for every sniffle. They are going to be hurt by different illnesses that are simply mutations of ones they are supposedly protected from.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:55 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

hey anon how ignorant can you be?? do some research, kids in Africa die of things that we have vaccinations for. i wonder why they are dying then if their immune systems are so freaking great.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 2:15 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• JAMA has warned us that the anti-bacterial soaps and the hand sanitizers we use is very bad for our immune system. Like it or not, we have to have our daily dose of germs to keep our immune system healthy. We develop immunity from exposure. Have you ever noticed that the "clean" children spend a lot of time with their pediatrician and the "dirty little chridren" are never sick? They don't carry had sanitizer in their book bags. They don't always wash their hands everytime they touch something. They get their exposure; they develop immunities, and they are healthy.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 2:28 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• * mrssundin~
    you don't have to get bit or have sex with a gorilla to get it you can get HIV by digesting the meat.
    ________________________
    but yes this stuff does worry me I am a mom and all I want is my child to be healthy...It is just a matter of time before this plague and new HIV work its way to the states....get ready avoid crowded areas take you kids out of public school. The S*** will hit the fan soon and there will be panic people are already panicking remember the bird flu in china how panicked everyone was its gonna start again!
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 2:34 PM on Aug. 3, 2009