Terbutaline/brethine

For those of you that have taken it, did it work? I was told to take it "as needed" for contractions, but was jsut wondering if it really helped with making them go away...it also says may cause dizziness, drowsiness, and headache...did any of you have these symptoms with it?

StacyDeAnn

Asked by StacyDeAnn at 1:08 PM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I was on it off and on from 31 to 36 weeks with my last pregnancy. It did not cause drowsiness, in fact it was the complete opposite. It caused my heart to race and for me to get very aggitated but it was sure better than having a pre-term baby.

Yes, it worked for me. I would only need to take it about one day a week but my baby held off until my induction at 38 weeks, however I didnt need the terbutaline past 36 weeks
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 1:16 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Thanks! I'm 31 weeks 5 days, and I was told to take it today for my contractions, but if they come back tonight to go in to L&D...I was just wondering if I should prepare myself for L&D tonight, seeing how my husband is over an hour away right now, so that I could tell him to head back home!
    StacyDeAnn

Answer by StacyDeAnn at 1:18 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• You are the one that posted about frequest BH yesterday, right? I was going to respond but not sure if I actually did becuase my kids were distracting me!

Did you go to L & D last night? Has your doc done a vaginal exam? Is this your first pregnancy? If its your first pregnancy then I strongly believe that your hubby would have time to make it to the hospital. If the doc did a vaginal exam, that will be a good indication if these contractions are actually doing something
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 1:21 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Well i went in to L&D when I was 26 weeks with contractions, but they were not as frequent as these are now. She checked my cervix then, and at 27 weeks and said we were still good to go. She also measured the fluid to make sure it wasn;t low, and she said everything was okay there too. She prescribed me the brethine then, but told me to take it "as needed" for contractions, but I have not needed it before now. I just got off the phone with her and she said go ahead and take it, and if they start up again sometime this afternoon or tonight, to go ahead and go in. It is my first pregnancy, and I'm sure he would have time, I just want to prepare just in case =) I don;t want to drive to the hospital if I am all jittery from the medicine!
    StacyDeAnn

Answer by StacyDeAnn at 1:26 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Terb has only been proven to prevent pre-term labor by up to 48 hours. True preterm labor includes cervical dilation, not just contractions. Some women just have early, strong contractions. To help prevent them, get plenty of rest, drink tons of water and take calcium & magnesium supplements.
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 1:28 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Well I would wait to call him. I mean, let him know what is going on but dont make him rush home. The terbutiline is every 4 hours, right? Take a dose now, and then a second dose in 4 hours if needed and then call him to come get you if that dose doesnt work

Thats my advice at least:)
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 1:29 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Mine is every 6 hours, but maybe ill be lucky, and i'll just have to take one a day like you did =) Thanks for the advice!
    StacyDeAnn

Answer by StacyDeAnn at 1:32 PM on Aug. 3, 2009