How soon after giving birth would you recommend taking a shower?

I've heard my friends complain that they felt stinky and gross after giving birth (assuming from all the sweat, and time of being in labor and not taking a shower). If you don't have an epi can't you just take one shortly after just to freshen up?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:15 PM on Aug. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• i took a shower about an hour after my dd was born
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:16 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• yap. I had an epi and as soon as it wore off 1 hour later I took a showerr.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 1:16 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I had my daughter in the afternoon... and trust me there was everything else on my mind just not taking a shower!
    But I took a shower the next morning!
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 1:18 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I had my son at 4:23 am and I was in the shower at 7.30. I was exhausted and was to unstable on my feet to do it sooner. I actually almost fell in the shower if not the nurse helping me. i had a natural delivery. I needed my husband's help a lot taking a shower for awhile after delivery.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 1:18 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I had my daughter in the evening and I took a shower,washed my hair and curled it the next morning. With my other two deliveries,I was in military hospitals and the shower was so filthy I waited until I got home to shower. If you have a normal delivery,a shower couldn't hurt as soon as you feel good.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 1:21 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• They wouldn't let me take a shower for nearly 22 hours because my epi was so strong that I could barely walk the ten feet from my bed to the bathroom alone much less walk down the hall to take a shower. My epi didn't wear off for nearly 8 hours and they wanted to make sure I was stable enough. I also had an episiotomy so they were worried about my stitches. But that first shower. OH MY GOD was it heaven or what?
    innocencexinxme

Answer by innocencexinxme at 1:25 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I took on the next day. I had to wait until I felt well enough to stand for a while and for someone to watch the little one. Finally, after hubby left the nurse came by and offered to watch her while I showered. It felt great.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:27 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• with my first son i hemmoraged really badly during my natural delivery, and i had to take blood transfusions...they wouldn't let me do anything but have a nurse come in and do a sponge bath...i was so miserable

but with my 2nd son i did fine...and i had no pain medication, so when they took him to clean him up...the first thing i did was get into the shower, it prob wasnt even half an hour after delivery

my hubby helped me, but i've never been so glad in my life to get in a shower, tired or not!!!
    mandy0510

Answer by mandy0510 at 1:27 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I took one about an hour later. TO not risk falling I sat in the tub and used the shower head to clean myself but My hubby Washed me and helped me rinse while the nurses had My DD giving her a bath. SO I guess technically my hubby bathed me LOL he is soooo Sweet:)
    heather.darin

Answer by heather.darin at 1:36 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I had c-sections with all 3 of my boys, and I was able to take a shower the day after delivery.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:44 PM on Aug. 3, 2009