Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Restraining Order- what happens if you don't know where the person is?

I have joint custody with my ex. We have been split for 10 years now and get along great. A situation that I have had with a boyfriend of 4 years surfaced and my ex decided to talk to DCFS. I have been ordered by DCFS to file a restraining order against my boyfriend because he was abusive to me in front of my daughter. They told me to get him out of house and to file an order before I can have my duaghter back in my house. So I got the boyfriend out and now I don't know where he is to serve him the papers. He lived in a different state before he came to stay with me, but he doesn't have a residence because he has been mooching off of me for the past 4 years. So he goes from house to house as he pleases. What do I do now? I did everything DCFS said. So now what? What happens if you cannot find the person to serve the papers to? What happens if they do not show up for court? Can I ever get my daughter back home?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 1:16 PM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Relationships

Answers (2)
  • I got a TRO against my ex-husband and didn't know where he was, so they served his parents on behalf of him.

    Answer by gramsmom at 1:25 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

  • Technically untill they find him he hasn't been served. But that is all you need to do is work with them and file the proper paper work. A friend of mine just went through this and as long as she filed the papers and went to court on it they considered her safe enough to take her kids back.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:25 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.