Question for etsy.com mamas

This question is especially for sahm's! do you sell homemade stuff on etsy.com? Has it been successful for you? Do you sell stuff often and make a good profit? I'm thinking about sewing some cloth children's books and selling them...once I get more practice lol

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 1:20 PM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I was selling cloth diapers on there for a while. I did pretty well. It's a hot category though. It all depends on what you're selling, how well it's made and how unique, and of course price. Good luck, I hope you do well.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 5:12 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• It really wouldn't hurt to give it a try. I highly recommend making a couple up and listing them. The world of Etsy is a BIG place so you have to get in there and PROMOTE and make yourself known. Don't just list an item, let it sit, and expect it to sell... and don't be disappointed if something doesn't get picked up right away. Keep trying!

I'm a SAHM w/an Etsy and Artfire shop (Artfire is another venue to consider.) Also, READ UP ON CPSIA if you're planning to market these for children.

GOOD LUCK!! :)
    mommyoftwoboys

Answer by mommyoftwoboys at 7:36 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• yes, market market market. it's the only way. otherwise, it's going to go really slow. add a link to your signature, join groups that would typically want your product, and keep an open mind. good luck!
    ALittleFluffy

Answer by ALittleFluffy at 2:23 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I have started to be more successful with my Etsy shop, but it takes work. Not only do you need to have a good product, you need to be good at photographing it, writing a description that is good, and trying to get people to find your item and decide they must purchase it.

It is a small investment to try it out, though. I think the amount of work you put into it can really make the difference, as well as realizing if something just is not working. I know I have dropped ideas that I tried out in my shop because I was not being successful with them and have tried others.

If you do try it, there is a cafemom group for those who sell on Etsy and other venues. There are lots of helpful ladies there.
    lauraslefthook

Answer by lauraslefthook at 10:00 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I am successful on Etsy and would recommend it to anyone I am a sahm of 4. It is a lot of work but can be rewarding. Check it out here at Laylalegs.com I make handmade children s leg and arm warmers and hats!
    kitty410

Answer by kitty410 at 10:52 AM on Oct. 6, 2009