Am I being parinoid? Please tell me I'm not the only mom who does this!

today is the first day of my son's football pratice! What's the problem you might say? well as crazy as this might sound, i feel like my son has been cursed or something....

ok..i told you that it would sound crazy, but in his short 7 years on this earth, it's like a dark cloud follows him around...if something bad is gonna happen,,he'll be standing there when it does.

he has a life threatening allergy to nuts, and that has been really hard on him...i've almost lost him several times..so i was reluctant when he asked me if he could play football....of course at his (and my husbands) insistance i gave in, but i cant shake this feeling that something bad is going to happen!!

Am I just borrowing trouble? I feel like some irrational crazy woman who wants to wrap her baby in bubblewrap till he's 30!!!

oh maybe not 30, buthe is accident prone, and he even knocked out a tooth in basketball.

should i let him play?

mandy0510

Asked by mandy0510 at 1:38 PM on Aug. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• Let him play. I have a cousin who was protective of her son and didn't allow him to play sports. He ended up dying when a semi hit their car as they were coming home from school. Now she wishes she had allowed him that joy of playing. It is something she will always have to live with.

Just be smart and let the coaches, trainers, etc know about his allergy and if possible give them some of the medicene to keep on hand in case he accidently injests any nuts. If something happens then they're prepared. Don't deny him, your dh and even yourself the joy of seeing him tackle his first player, scoring a touchdown, etc. Even should he die tomorrow (which none of us know if we have or not) he will have had these simple joys as will you.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 2:58 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• he's going to get hurt, it's football! let him play
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:39 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL BUT KEEPING HIM IN THAT BUBBLE WON'T ALLOW HIM TO BE A KID AND ENJOY LIFE.

Answer by older at 1:41 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I just don't know. Are you having a particular worry just about today or is it every day? If it's just about today, I say no. Your instincts are there for a reason and you'd rather be safe than sorry. That is, if it's just a strong feeling for today's game. If it's daily then I agree with older, you can't keep him protected forever.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 1:53 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Aww...i know the feeling, perfectly normal. But let him play and let him get hurt. It's a part of life and it'll help him grow. I truly know how you feel though!!
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 1:56 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Let him play. Let him enjoy his life however short or long it may be. Try not to worry. If you went back and listed all the good things and the bad things, you would notice the good list is probably a lot longer than you think and htat you are just harping on the bad (albight it big!) things.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:57 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I don't blame you. I would feel the same way. My son played soccer---that was less dangerous and a whole lot more fun. They keep moving and I loved watching. AND- the football gear is so expensive. In football, they just crash into each other, get up, run a little, then crash into each other again. Boring . Try soccer! ;-)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:08 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• My son is playing football for the first time and believe me, once you see him out there having fun, you'll forget all your worries! I tried to convince his dad to put him in touch football but he wasn't having that! So he is in tackle. The first time he got tackled shook me up a little but it didn't faze him at all! So now I love watching him play. I know our situations are a little different but I just wanted to let you know how fun it can be for both of you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:40 PM on Aug. 3, 2009