Would you let a 7 yr old play in the ocean if they can't swim?

Only to where the waves come up to his hips...I say no cause he could be swept by the current..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:48 PM on Aug. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would, but not that deep. We were just at the beach a month ago with my 7 year old and he had a blast playing in the water. I let him go in up to his knees, with occasional wave splashes higher than that.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:49 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Up to the hips would be fairly safe, in an area where there isn't a strong riptide, with an adult who can swim.

Answer by missanc at 1:50 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• No. We put our young (5,6) kids in the ocean in the Cayman islands last week in arm floaties and were with them the whole time. Ocean is very strong, even at waist deep.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 1:51 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• NO I WOULDN'T, ONE OF THE FIRST THINGS I TAUGHT MY KIDS AT A VERY YOUNG AGE WAS HOW TO SWIM, YOU SHOULD DO IT TOO.

Answer by older at 1:55 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Yes. Mine are allowed to go in about thigh-deep in calm surf w/ our supervision. They are 2, 6, 7, & 11.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 2:09 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I have 3 little ones, ages 7, 3 and 8 months. They all wear life jackets in the water at all times. My 7 year old can swim, but we make her wear it to be safe and set a good example.
    Lacey_leo

Answer by Lacey_leo at 2:12 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Yes so long as he wears a swim vest (or other swim safety gear) to help him float AND an adult who can swim was within touching distance.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 2:24 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I dunno, but then again I started swim lessons at 1 year with my baby..... If I did I would be within arms reach the entire time!!!
    KatieP.

Answer by KatieP. at 2:27 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Nope not unless he had a life vest. And I was within touching distance.
    Charlies_mommy

Answer by Charlies_mommy at 2:36 PM on Aug. 3, 2009