Looking for any inside information....school officials, students, etc...!

Okay... I'm enrolled to start school in about two weeks. I was really very exciting to FINALLY be going back, but now I have a huge problem. I'm set to get a scholarship that will cover my full tuition both at the Tech school where I'm starting and the University where I'll finish. So far so good... I was set to start back in January but things didn't work out then, but I asked a financial aid officer at the school if my scholarship could be used in conjuction with the Pell Grant to cover the cost of books. He said, very matter of factly, "Yes. Just fill out a FAFSA". I did that this semester and was all good to go until I found out...he was very much WRONG about that. Long story short, I have two weeks to get my book money together to pay out of pocket, or I don't go. To keep the scholarship and make my credits add up, I may end up having to wait a whole YEAR to go again. Is there anything I can do? Any loopholes? BBB? Any???

ErinHill226

Asked by ErinHill226 at 2:04 PM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I don't know of any. Have you looked into buying used books? They're a lot cheaper then buying new.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:06 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Soooo... youre getting fafsa money?? that should cover your books. theyll send you a check that was left over from tuition and that money is to be used for books, supplies, backpack, etc.
    evilive

Answer by evilive at 2:12 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I did ask about that, but unfortunately, since a number of my classes are online...some of them come with CD's and access codes which will need to be punched in or something to get the CD to work. And each one, of course, can only be used once. So some of the books I could get cheaper...and others I'd have to pay full price for. And the worst thing is...they dont' know the fall semester prices until like five days before classes start, so I don't even know for sure how much I'm looking at. She just said "bring 700 and you should be safe." Ugh! And I could have gotten it together if I hadn't been under the impression the grant would help out and started saving weeks ago...but the guy said it would so I thought nothing else about it. I mean, he SHOULD know. He only works there. I don't want to be one of those bitches who threatens to file a complaint...but they really messed me up here!
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 2:15 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• No. that's what they were wrong about. I'm not eligible to use FAFSA money, but originally they said I could. And the scholarship is only good for tuition...not books. But I JUST NOW found someone who told me this information. The financial aid guy I originally spoke with said I could get the schoarship, and some of the Pell grant money in order to help with books. So I only found out a couple of weeks before classes after talking with someone else, that the first guy was wrong and I have to pay out of pocket.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 2:17 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I don't know about your school, but the college here will let you make payments on books. You might should ask about that.
    Mick86Sara

Answer by Mick86Sara at 2:20 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Thanks Mick. I'm going to send them an email or call or something. I sure hope so!
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 2:23 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• It seems like the scholarship and grant should be separate, so maybe ask someone else.

The only advice I have is to go to the first day of class and see if you actually need the books. Some professors rely heavily on them, and some don't. And try getting used books where you can. Try half.com or Amazon for good prices on used books.

Totally sucks, and I hope it works out for you.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 2:24 PM on Aug. 3, 2009