can this facility hold a person against their will?

my brother admitted his self into a mental/behavorial facility to get help.
His Problem: He thinks everyone is after him
He does/says things and forget he said/did them.
He talks in third person.
He says things like: I just wanna fly away and be free
I'm scared of people .
Now since he been in this facility he has gotten worse he has been admitted three times in 30 days because the medication does not help him. He is now talking different ..very slow and it takes him longer to respond to a question. He walks slow. He repeats the same thing over and over again in a conversation such as how are you doing? how is the baby? ect.

He was suppose to get released today s we can get him better treatment but they refused to let him go after they admitted he is getting worse.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:19 PM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Health

• can they keep him against his will? if anyone have any advice please leave a comment.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:21 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Involuntary commitment for evaluation can generally be done without a hearing. But this is only for a limited amount of time, if the patient is a threat to himself or others. After that, there needs to be a hearing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:47 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I"m not sure, but I thought if you were self committed you could leave any time. Your records would just say AMA (against medical advice). But if you are a threat to others or yourself, I think they can hold you. You would just need to get help set up at another facility so he could be transfered. that way he was not without care ??
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:19 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• If he is doing all of what you said it'd be a public threat if they just let him walk out. Even if he did admit himself they can't just let him walk out of the place otherwise it'd come back on them if he did something to harm himself or someone else.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 3:24 PM on Aug. 3, 2009