FROM CO-SLEEPING TO CRIB???????????????????????? HELP

when i brought my son home from the hostpital i co-slept it was easier for me when i just brestfed... but he is almost 8 months now and i want him to sleep in his own room. sometimes he will fall asleep in his crip for a few hours but then wake up... my son does not sleep through the night and people keep telling me he should be. how did you deal with moving your child to their room if you had them in your room? im always afraid something might happen... do you have any suggestions on how to do this? i am a first time mom and not sure how to do much of these things. any suggestions will help

jaksonsmommy

Asked by jaksonsmommy at 2:20 PM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I moved my son to his room when he was 10 month old. He still wakes up for milk. I have baby monitor, as soon as he wakes up I go to his room and feed him. don't worry it's the best time to put your son in his own room, you are going to sleep better and he'll get use to his room soon. Good luck
    Proud2bJmom

Answer by Proud2bJmom at 2:39 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• There is no magic trick. You just rock him or feed him, whatever you do at night and then put him down in the crib. He's not going to like it, so you pick him up and do it all over again. Eventually he will accept it. We moved my DD from our bed to her crib at 8 wks. She cried a lot, but we stayed consistent. Now she is 5 mos. and can put herself to sleep and just started sleeping through the night (mostly). Whatever you do, whether you let him cry for 10 mins. and soothe, or 20 mins. stay consistent, that is the only way it will work.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 2:56 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• 1. the people who tell you your son should be sleeping through the night are lying, hallucinating or ignoring the facts. It is ABNORMAL for children to sleep through the night until they are past 2 --whether or not they learn to stop making noise because they've learned that no one is coming no matter what they need.

2. babies sleep better next to their mothers. It might be nice for crib makers for that to be false, but it's not: babies beside their mothers have better body temperature and breathing regulation, lower stress hormone levels, sleep in more regular cycles and, happy for mom, tend to wake and sleep on the same cylces as the mom: meaning, when the baby wakes, you are more likely to be in the same light-sleep phase, not groggy and dead to the world, making wakings easier.

Babies instinctively know that alone they are in danger. You can't talk them out of instincts. You make them give up trying to get help.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:17 PM on Aug. 4, 2009