Your worst motherhood experience?

When my son was 5 days old, I took him to the doctor for his first checkup since leaving the hospital. He was breastfeeding at that time, and he had slight jaundice. It was not severe jaundice....in fact he was barely jaundiced at all and he wasn't yellow.
During the appointment, the ped did everything normal for a checkup, and had some blood tests for my son to check his bilirubin count. After he did this, he said he was waiting on the test results. I asked if I could try to nurse my son in one of the rooms. He said that would be fine. My mother was with me, and I tried to get my son to nurse. We were having a lot of problems getting him to latch on, and then getting him to stay on. He was crying and crying, and I was very emotional and I was crying and crying....it had been six hours since he ate last. My mom tried to get my son to eat by ensuring proper latch onto me, but that didn't work. (more below )

sweetmoonem

Asked by sweetmoonem at 2:25 PM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My c-section got infected 8 days after I had my baby. I was adamant about only bf'ing her and so she stayed with me for 3 days in the hospital while I got an antibiotic IV. It doesn't sound that bad, but I was miserable and afraid. My mother was in town and so we didn't get to spend time with her and I was deathly afraid they'd have to re-open my incision. I was hormonal and I just wanted to be home with my baby, not to mention that I hated having the c-section in the first place!
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 2:52 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Since my son wouldn't eat and I was so emotional, my mom said she'd take us home. As we were walking out by the receptionist, she asked, "Where are you going?" I was crying so my mom said, "We're going home so my grandson can eat....we'll come back later for the test results." and the receptionist said, "You can't leave in the middle of the appointment! Who's going to tell the doctor?" and my mom said, "YOU ARE!" My mom and I walked outside. It was raining so my mom left the baby with me, under the main entrance while she brought the car back around. While she was gone, the doctor came outside and tapped on my shoulder and asked me what I was doing. I told him I needed to go home because my son needed to nurse and that I'd be back for the test results. He said, "You can't just leave during the appt!" and he TOOK MY SON out of my arms and went back inside while I stood out there and cried. (more )
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 2:30 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• omg wtf
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 2:32 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• i cant believe it
    kirsty_mcgrail

• My mom came around with the car, asked what happened. I told her, in between tears because I was crying so hard. She said, "They can't take him away from you! You're his MOTHER!" She left the car there, told me to wait right where I was, and she went inside. She was in there for a half hour, screaming at the receptionist and throwing a fit with the pediatrician. She was REALLY ANGRY. Finally she came back outside with my son and gave him to me. She told me what she did and that she was taking me home. On the car ride home, I was crying....and my mom cried--the first time I had seen her cry in over 10 years------because she was so upset for me. Let me tell you, there is nothing that hurts more than having your child taken away from you. Especially for no good reason. Has anybody else had something like this happen to them?
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 2:33 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• A nurse came into my room during the night after I had my baby and said she was taking the baby to get her temp taken and didnt bring my baby back for 5 hours! I was pissed I called the nurse I was shouting and left my room and everything. But I cant imagine that happening to me what happened to u. U should file some complaint or something
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 2:36 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• baby snatcher, sue him
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:38 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Oh, but no one laid a hand on my baby, you better believe that.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 2:53 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• OMG! I hope you got another doctor after that! Those nurses should have offered to help you latch rather than being so snooty!!

My worst was at the hospital. I didn't have a doc so I used the neo doc on staff. She came into my room and laid into me about how my daughter had lost too much weight and that I wasn't feeding her right and that I needed to do better and blah blah blah (it's all kinda a blurr now). I felt like a complete and utter failure! As soon as she left I started nursing, tears pouring down my face. The lactation nurse came in, took my baby away and told me not to worry. Women had been having babies long before there were scales! She helped me calm down and then we went over some different nursing poistion and such. It was much better after and she kept the doc away from me for a while. I'll never use the docs at that hops again!! Even when I got my regular pedi, they were much more ... cont.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:30 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• cont. .. lax about it and we just monitored the weight gain rathern than harassing me. Some people just have no bed side manner.

And also, on the way home from the hosp, I had a little breakdown. My daughter was jaundice so we had gone to get the biliruben test. I has having a horrible time nursing, she wasn't gaining weight and she was yellow! That's all I could think about was I'm killing my baby and she's yellow! I cried all the way home.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:32 PM on Aug. 3, 2009