• In the Spotlight:

FROM CO-SLEEPING TO CRIB???????????????????????? HELP

when i brought my son home from the hostpital i co-slept it was easier for me when i just brestfed... but he is almost 8 months now and i want him to sleep in his own room. sometimes he will fall asleep in his crip for a few hours but then wake up... my son does not sleep through the night and people keep telling me he should be. how did you deal with moving your child to their room if you had them in your room? im always afraid something might happen... do you have any suggestions on how to do this? i am a first time mom and not sure how to do much of these things. any suggestions will help

jaksonsmommy

Asked by jaksonsmommy at 2:33 PM on Aug. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• My 6 year old daughter will still wake up in middle of the night and search me out to sleep with me. My bed, the couch, air mattress. I've woke up crowed by her in my bed, got up and moved to her bed and within an hour or so, she followed me to her bed.
    I don't know but it doesn't seem like something they just grow out of. I wish I had forced her to sleep in her own bed sooner!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:40 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• You could always put the crib in the room with you if you can and when he wakes up sooth him bak to sleep. Once he is use to the crib then try moving to his room. Don't worry about him not sleeping through the night all babies are different.
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 2:40 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• There is a great article on drjaygordon.com on transitioning baby from the family bed. Check it out!

Answer by gdiamante at 2:56 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Honey first of all, stop listening to what everyone is saying. Each child is an individual and each situation is unique. Use the ideas people give you that works for you and your child. Do what you think is best for you and your DS and don't listen to the criticism that others say. My mom had 7 kids and we all went to bed our own way. One of my sisters slept with her for the first 9 yrs and one of my other sisters wasn't ever put down for the first 8 months of her life (not even when we went to the bathroom..we had to pass her off). Both of my sisters today have no issues with being independent. My oldest sister didn't sleep through the night for the first 6 yrs. of her life.
    nevergiveupmom

Answer by nevergiveupmom at 3:29 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• An Idea: To help adjust your DS to sleeping in his crib, work on it during the day, start having him nap in his crib. He might not like feeling alone in his room at night so maybe a lil night light might help him. He is very use to having you right there and it will take time for him to learn that you will still be there for him. It’s not going to be easy. You will have a lot of sleepless nights. We went through that with my one sis who was never put down. It was a slow process but we were consistent and it finally did pay off. She went from us holding her to sleeping in the middle of my mom's bed. She never slept in a baby bed!! MOST IMPORTANTLY IF YOU WANT TO LEAVE HIM IN BED WITH YOU THEN DO IT! You KNOW what is best for the both of you. Just don't listen to people's negative thinking cause they think things should be done one way only. There is more than one way to skin a cat as the saying goes
    nevergiveupmom

• If YOU want him to sleep in a crib, then yes, make the transition. Poo on what other people say. Most eight month old babies aren't sleeping through the night. So, you can choose to treat each wakening as you would if you were cosleeping, or you can try to encourage longer stretches by responding differently. I just held my daughter at her first night waking instead of feeding her, and she dropped that waking. I second Dr. Jay Gordon's website.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 3:31 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Christopher will be 11 months old on the 18th and he still isn't sleeping through the night. He wakes up 2-3 times a night. He'll go to sleep in his crib, but ends up screaming so hard and the only thing that settles him back down is getting in bed with us. I know how you're feeling. Good luck! :-(
    MamaK313

Answer by MamaK313 at 3:31 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• First of all, don't listen to what everybody else says, and certainly don't read baby books, because they will drive you crazy thinking you are not doing anything right! All children are different. My child didn't sleep through the night for almost 2 years. To make the transition easier, try putting him to bed and rubbing his back or rocking him (in his room) until he falls asleep. Place him in his bed. This will let him know that his bed is safe. Honestly, I rocked my child to sleep for almost 2 years. If you put him on a routine, and he goes to bed at the same time every night, then he will try to climb in his bed himself, and will not want to be rocked anymore! (My child grew out of being rocked by 1 1/2-2.) He may still get hungry in the middle of the night, as my child did. He will outgrow this by the time he is 1 and on solid foods.
    MontessoriMo226

Answer by MontessoriMo226 at 3:58 PM on Aug. 3, 2009