Do you allow your daughters to do "boy stuff"?

I was raised in a tough family, meaning as a little girl I was allowed to play with trucks, play football, climb trees, make mud puddles, shoot a BB gun, and I was always taught to stick up for myself and that sometimes sticking up for myself meant throwing a punch. I am raising my girls the same way. My ex seems to have a problem with letting the girls get dirty, and letting them play with trucks or taking them to see the Monster Truck shows, or teaching them to skateboard. My girls are still very much little girls. My 4 year old is a little diva, she has 14 pairs of shoes, loves clothes shopping, and still talks like a little princess. She also likes trucks, skateboarding, singing, and playing guitar. My 3 year old likes getting dirty, playing with bugs, and watching the fights on TV, she also has an addiction to skull knitted hats, clothes shopping, painting her fingernails and wants to play drums. She also likes modeling.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:44 PM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Sounds like your DH is a little bit sexist
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 2:45 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT!!!!IT SOUNDS TO ME YOU ARE DOING A PRETTY GOOD JOB!

Answer by older at 2:48 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I have a daughter and when she gets bigger, she can be a girlie girl or a tomboy or a little bit of both lol .

I was both I loved girlie stuff but played rough and my best cousin was a boy at the time.

geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 2:51 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Sounds like you are raising happy, well rounded litte girls. Well done!
    Lacey_leo

Answer by Lacey_leo at 2:52 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I have a 1 year old that currently beats the snot out of the 2 & 3 year olds. She gets muddier, tears more things up etc. I love it. Wouldn't have it any other way. We are trying to teach her not to hit but it's hard at that age. It's just kinda funny when you see them sitting there playing with HER truck and she walks up, knocks them away and takes it back. They'll both sit there bawling because they were playing with it. Then she turns around and gives them this big sappy grin and you just melt.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 3:11 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Let them get dirty!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:03 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• i just let them do what makes them happy (playing what they want and hobbies i mean). i have 2 boys and they both have little boy dolls they like to sleep with, so that's kind of the reverse of your situation lol. i don't think there is anything wrong with it
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 4:04 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Trucks, and climbing trees and getting dirty is not exclusive to boys. Girls can love it, or hate it, just as much. DD has many match box cars, a few wooden trucks, she LOVES to go hunting for worms in the mud puddles, and she is great at climbing trees. She also loves dresses, ponies, pet shops, and other typical girl things.

I do not want her sex to define her.
    mamalinzie

Answer by mamalinzie at 4:57 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• We happily bought our oldest daughter cars and trucks and whatnot before we even had a boy. So our girls have always had "boy" toys. And our son has always had "girl" toys. He is almost 8 and still sleeps with his doll on his bed, plays Barbie with his sisters, builds houses with the Legos, pretends to cook with his 3yo sister's toy kitchen, plays dollhouse, etc.
    The girls get dirty, play army, have adventures, played with cars, etc. I let them play with whatever makes them happy.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:41 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Your daughter sounds EXACTLY like mine at that age. She does have an older brother, but when I was pregnant with him (and we did NOT know the sex in advance) I made sure there was a shiny new Tonka dump truck under the tree that Christmas because I had always been denied one. Had my daughter been born first, it would have been hers to grow into. My son was crazy about dollhouses, miniatures, obsessed with Barbie's stuff (she does have cool stuff, man) and loved the play kitchen we got him before his sister was even born.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 9:44 PM on Aug. 3, 2009