When you say your baby sleeps through the night...

Do you mean he/she really doesn't wake up at all for 6-12 hrs.? My DD just started consistently sleeping through the night (Goes from 8pm-1:00am (eats) and then 1:00am-7:00am) but she will sometimes wake if her leg falls through the crib slat, but only for 5 mins. till we get her out. When people say "my baby sleeps through the night" do they really mean their baby doesn't wake up AT ALL?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:58 PM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• That's what a lot of people believe to be the definition. But it's really only five straight hours.

Yours certainly is sleeping through the night.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:02 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Yeah, my daughter doesnt wake up at all... MAYBE once or twice a week will she fuss a little in her sleep but i pat he rbutt and in 30 seconds hes out again.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:03 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• My son is 5 months now... he falls asleep at 10:30/ 11:00pm, and wakes up between 7:30-9:am.
    shessohippie

Answer by shessohippie at 3:07 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Mine doesn't :( some nights shes up upwards of 5 times in the night.. we're pretty sure its nightmares because all is normally takes is just picking her up and giving her some comfort. Shes 18 months
    Skye-Angel

Answer by Skye-Angel at 3:41 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I consider "sleeping through the night" to include, not only not waking up at all, but also waking up for no more than a few minutes and putting him/herself back to sleep. Same as I would say for adults. I wake up during the night sometimes, look at the clock, and go back to sleep, and I still say I slept through the night. But getting up to eat or play, even if it's only once, I don't consider to be part of sleeping through the night.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 4:22 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I have read somewhere that sleeping for 6 hours straight is sleeping through the night. But I think when people say it, they mean that their kids are sleeping all night without waking up.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 4:22 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I think 5 hours is sleeping through the night.
    mine sleeps from 7-6 and gets up around 4 to eat, but just eats in her sleep cause I bring her to bed with me at that time
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 9:48 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• My 8 month old sleeps from 8pm until 7 am, or lately 8 am. Straight through.

Answer by missanc at 10:12 PM on Aug. 3, 2009