How long after giving birth do you have to wait to have sex?

I had to get stitches, but everything feels ok now, it's been almost a month. I was just wondering ;) lol

1baby2009

Asked by 1baby2009 at 3:05 PM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Relationships

• I had sex as soon as I felt alright again and had no more pain.
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 3:06 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I did it soon as my bleeding stopped and the pain was gone...
    Chize

Answer by Chize at 3:07 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• My husband and I made it to the 4 week mark before we had sex and I swear it was the worst mistake I ever made. I got a horrible infection from it which is what can happen. I suggest asking your doctor if they think you are ready for sex. The usual waiting period is 6 weeks. I always tell new moms to wait about 6 weeks so you dont get the nasty infection I got. The reason they tell you to wait is because when you deliver your placenta, you are basically left with a "hole" where it was and introducing new bacteria to that area causes an infection. We did wait until I had no pain or anything and my stitches were completely out so ask your doctor and he/she will tell you when your ready.
    innocencexinxme

Answer by innocencexinxme at 3:11 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Oh geez... i waited 6 wks, my stitches were gone too... but it still hurt to poop! So, after that first time, it was probably another month before i was comfortable enough to try again!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 3:12 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• i had a csection .. i waited 2 weeks. lol.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 3:15 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I'm so afraid of messing something up lol or getting pregnant right now
    1baby2009

Answer by 1baby2009 at 3:22 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• As soon as your Dr. gives you the go ahead.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:53 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• We waited until the go ahead from my doctor at my 6 week appointment. I had stitches with both my kids, the first being the worst because I tore all the way down.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:07 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• usually it's about 6 weeks.....but it depends on how much if any, tearing occurs during pregnancy......so basically ur doctor will tell u when it is okay to go ahead.....my hubby is already worried about the 6 week wait...lol
    fay101

Answer by fay101 at 12:19 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Ugh I had a 4th degree tear, one big hole. It took me several MONTHS to get back in the swing of things. Heck at 6 weeks I was still scared to take a big poop. LOL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on Aug. 4, 2009