What was your child's first trip to the ER?

Just got home from taking my almost-1 year old to the ER. Fell right onto the edge of my bed, sliced open his forehead. Thankfully, no stitches, just glue. A sticker and ice cream cone later, he's totally unphased, but I'm having a harder time recovering, lol.
It got me curious. What was your first trip to the ER with your child?

sweetphoenix529

Asked by sweetphoenix529 at 3:06 PM on Aug. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• An undiagnosed anaphylactic food allergy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:15 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Last fall, DD was 3 and was twirling in the living room and hit a corner of the tv stand and split her cheek open, 5 stitches. I am STILL trying to recover from that..... brutal. DS is 2.5 and knock on wood! no trips yet...although, one time I rushed him after hours to one of the Immedia-Care places for hives, but I don't think that counts =)
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 3:16 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• stomach flu for my youngest. Burn for my oldest and my son split his lip and had to get stitched.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 3:18 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• My sons first trip to the ER was when he was 5 days old he stopped breathing and was having seizures (Long journey to go along with that.. 2 months in the hospital..).. But as for the first visit because of an injury he was around 20 months old and I turned my back for all of 2 seconds and he twisted just right and fell out of a shopping cart right onto his head. He was fine thank god! But I panicked. We've had many visits though.. My son is ALL boy. Busted lips, heads, etc etc
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 3:18 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I had 3 trips in less than two weeks for the same reason. My son was five months old and very sick. I took him to one er and they sent him home with a diagnosis of an Upper Respiratory Infection and a prescription for Albuterol liquid. It didn't work and he got worse. A week and a half later, I took him to Children's in Dallas with a 103.4 fever. They said his temp was normal even though I checked it three times before I left home with a properly working red cross thermometer anally and under the arm pit. They sent him to their urgent care clinic because it "was not a life threatening case." My son's lips were just beginning to turn blue from lack of oxygen. When we got to the urgent care clinic, there was a 9 hour wait ahead of us. We told him to take us off the list, that we were leaving. Cont'd
    innocencexinxme

Answer by innocencexinxme at 3:19 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• When we left, we went home checked his temp again, anally. Hit 104 by then and left for another hospital nearly 30 minutes away in a completely different county. When we got him there, they took him back immediately. He was admitted within 3 hours with Viral Pnuemonia, suspected Meninigitis, suspected Pertussis, and suspected RSV. We stayed in the hospital for 7 days with (thank god!!) only Viral Pneumonia. That is his only trip to the ER and even though it probably won't be our last, it was the scariest time EVER!
    innocencexinxme

Answer by innocencexinxme at 3:22 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Knock on Wood....We have never been...and they are 6 1/2 and 4.
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 3:22 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Five days old. My husband fell down the stairs with her. She was completely fine, but we went for observation because we weren't sure if she hit her head. She didn't!
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 3:29 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• My oldest was about a month old. He stopped breathing. We never found out what the exact cause was but it might have had something to do with the wood stove in our living room and the fumes from it. But that wasn't his last! When he was 4, he fell and busted his forehead open, got 6 stitches. Then sometime later, he fell again and busted the back of his head open and had to get staples. Then his brother cut his finger open and had to get it glued. my boys are a fun bunch!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:35 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• OP: This probably won't be the first visit to the ER lol. Our first trip to the ER was when our daughter had RSV and she was in the hospital for a few days.
    PatriciaofMN

Answer by PatriciaofMN at 3:46 PM on Aug. 3, 2009