Can a baby still be constipated even if they are not screaming and crying when they poop? maybe tmi

My daughters poop is rock hard, she only poops one little turd at a time and she'll fuss a little when poopingbut not cry too hard. when i changed her diaper last night her butt opened like she had to poop but nothing would come out but i could see a turd sitting right there :( it was really sad actually..

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:10 PM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son used to get constipated when he was little too. At first he'd scream every time he had to poop and then it just seemed like he was uncomfortable.

How old is your daughter? Are you breast or formula feeding? Has she started solids yet?
    Sorry for the list of questions but they all played a factor with our situation so it helps to know.

We had to breast and bottle feed since I couldn't produce enough for him. We noticed a difference once we switched to the lower iron formula.

He started on solids when he was about 5 or six months old. He of course got bunged up again which is bound to happen when introducing new foods. We started giving him water to drink to help as well, which it did.

When he got old enough to introduce milk, it happened again. We realized he's possibly lactose intolerant so we tried rice milk and he drank it no problem and now poops like a champ!

Lots of fluids help. Especially water.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 3:15 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Shes 5 1/2 months i breastfeed, but she gets cereal twice a day with gerber juice mixed into it.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:17 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Will she take water? We were lucky that our son likes water, some kids don't.

What about some pedialite? When he didn't poop for a week and after a few trips to see the doctor(who kept saying it was normal and not to worry...how is not pooping for a week normal???)
    We went to the emergency room, they did and x-ray and saw that he was SUPER backed up. They suggested pedialite to get things moving and it worked.

Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 3:20 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• My daughter had this problem. Her Dr said to give her a little bit of pear or apple juice and water, half and half. It really seemed to help.
    musikdoll

Answer by musikdoll at 4:00 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• My daughter is 5 1/2 months old and she had this problem for a while too when we stated her on baby food. her dr. said to give her 1/4 of a child sized glycerin suppository. I was reading though that if used too often the child can become dependant on them to have a movement...what I do instead is give her 2oz of apple juice mixed half and half with water and i give it to her once a day after she has eaten her baby food. It definitely helps keep her from getting backed up...once she is backed up though...be carefull what u wish for....she got her apple juice one day and gave me all 4 days worth of poop in one diaper! It was EVERYWHERE!
    bobcatsmommy

Answer by bobcatsmommy at 4:48 PM on Aug. 3, 2009