What are the risks of not eating healthy?

I am pregnant with my first, and want to do everything right, including eating right. The problem is I am sooo hungry and only want junk food. I've tried to eat healthy food but i just gag...i cant swallow it. Im only 7 weeeks and im scared my poor diet will cause me to have a miscarriage or cause other complications.

amanda53x

Asked by amanda53x at 3:14 PM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• well my first i ate bad but i did work out and my son was 6 weeks early and was 5lbs 1 oz and 16 in and with my 2nd i tried harder and my son was 3 weeks early and 5lbs 15 oz and 18.5 in....idk if it makes a diffrence but i fell bad that i couldnt give up junk for my baby
    Lacrisha

Answer by Lacrisha at 3:17 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I'd say later on after its born you should think about making sure it does eat those vegetables and fruits that you dont eat. The way you eat can affect the way your child eats when it starts eating whole foods. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:18 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• i wasnt the healthiest eater when i was pregnant. actually at all, but i was really healthy and so was my baby. she was nice and big, i went full term...i had ZERO complications too
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:18 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Your diet will certainly affect the baby's. They've shown that if a woman eats carrots in pregnancy, her baby will like mushed carrots when they move onto solid foods. But you don't HAVE to eat a wide variety for the baby to be OK with that kind of thing. As long as you give him/her interesting and varied foods, s/he will choose to eat the things that s/he likes. You will have to be super careful to buy good foods for her, because if they're no in your normal shopping cart, then you run the risk that she will be picky.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:19 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• if you dont eat healthy u also run a risk of geting ges diabetes its not fun i had it with my second and i couldnt even have a bowl of cereal for breakfast it spiked my sugar level and i had to test 4 times a day my fingers were so dang sore so eat healthy
    mama2my2boys

Answer by mama2my2boys at 3:23 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Are you a teenager? What you eat, the baby eats. I am sure that you know smokers who don't have cancer, so poor eating habit won't automatically lead to health issues. Possible problems for the mother: diabetes, high blood pressure, pre-eclampsia, pre-term labor, etc. Potential risks to your baby are low birth weight, lower IQ, etc.

Here is a link to some information on pregnancy nutrition: http://www.nutritionmd.org/nutrition_tips/nutrition_tips_pregnancy_nutrition/index.html

Answer by rkoloms at 3:27 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• my food of choice was cheesy or sweet food so i was a bad eater had a 7lbs 8 oz baby wit a legth of 20 in so he was perfect!!jus make sure u do have sum good foods to even out the junk u eat thts wat i did had a donut ate a carrot after had a cheesy greasy sub aite a banana lol its so hard to eat good wen ur pregnant cus the cravings u get!@!@
    mamabear0824

Answer by mamabear0824 at 3:32 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I'm 20
    amanda53x

Answer by amanda53x at 3:33 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• ok, not eating healthy will not give you pre-eclampsia (as a pp said). they don't know what causes that so that's just bs lol. but anyway, yes, not eating well will make your baby a picky eater later on, you will probably get fatter than the baby will, and you can get gestational diabetes which is no fun at all. what kind of foods are you trying to eat that make you gag?? lol i don't really think of gross foods when i think healthy lol.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 3:49 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• multigrain bread/bagles, vegetables, grilled chicken.. which i used to love, raisins... none of which sound gross to me but its something about swallowing them that just doesnt work lol
    amanda53x

Answer by amanda53x at 3:56 PM on Aug. 3, 2009