I just learned last Monday that I was pregnant. What should I talk to my family doctor about at my appointment tomorrow?

This is the first time I've been pregnant. I have a lot of stomach pains, feel weak alot, and occasional bleeding. I'm not sure what to worry about and what to ask about.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:20 PM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Family doctor? You need to see an ob/gyn.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:22 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• just tell ur doctor everything make a list of what is bugging u or what u need to talk about dont be shy ur doctor needs to know everything and if u dont u just wont ever know
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:23 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I agree with the first anon, you need to see an OB/GYN.. not a family doctor
    Skye-Angel

Answer by Skye-Angel at 3:27 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• yap u need an ob/gyn
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 3:29 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• sometimes you need to see your family dr. to get a refferal to an ob/gyn.... is that what you mean? if not, and you can go right to the ob/gyn, they will ask you alot of questions regarding your lifestyle, send you for your screening bloodwork (test for stds etc.), give you a basic check-up (pap smear, etc.), and you can bring up any concerns you have to them (i would ask about the bleeding). gl
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 3:41 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Some family doctors deliver babies. I wouldn't necessarily rule out your family doctor if that's who you are comfortable with and he/she does do deliveries and you're a low risk pregnancy.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 3:48 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• My first appt was with my family doc cause i had to wait a month to get an appt with my ob/gyn. All he did was do a blood test... and he didnt really even know the answers to my questions lol. I also have a lot of stomach pains and im really tired and weak for no reason but my ob said everything was fine.
    amanda53x

Answer by amanda53x at 3:51 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I'm seeing the family doctor because he's treating me for an illness. I just got worse while he was gone on vacation, so I had to see a different doctor who changed the meds since the test came back I was pregnant. I want to touch base about the changes and see what meds I should stay away from like my asthma treatments. He specialized in pediatrics before taking over his dad's general practice, so I'd like to get a referral from him to a ob/gyn that he's worked with. I'm just not sure what all to bring up at the appointment?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:51 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Ask what's safe and not safe to do/eat/drink/take during pregnancy. Ask for nutritional advice - it's not healthy to gain too much weight, or to not gain enough. Ask what to watch out for since there's an issue with current illness. DEFINITELY ask about the bleeding! Ask about iron supplements or anemia and prenatal vitamins. I can't think what else, but if I think of something, I'll let you know!
    DrJChappell

Answer by DrJChappell at 5:02 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• It doesn't matter what kind of doc. you see. My family doctor is also an ob/gyn. Just tell him/her exactly what's goin on, don't hide anything. The doctor will know exactly how to help you so tell him/her everything that you told us and anything else that's bothering you. The doctor will tell you what to worry about and what not to so be as honest as possible. If you can't be honest with your doctor, you need to find one you can open up to.
    Kylesbabymam705

Answer by Kylesbabymam705 at 5:59 PM on Aug. 3, 2009