WHINING

My daughter will be 2 at the end of Sept... she constantly is fake crying or throwing fits when she doesnt get her way..or something she wants. It gets very frustrating and unbearable at times. What is the best way to handle this situation...on a level that she could understand?? Incase you are wondering.... Yes she is the only child..and I know the terrible 2's are apporaching but this has been going on since she turned 1 1/2....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:27 PM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• IGNORE HER, REINFORCING HER BEHAVIOUR WILL NOT MAKE IT GO AWAY. WHEN SHE REALIZES THIS IS NOT WORKING ANYMORE SHE WILL STOP. I KNOW IT IS EASIER SAID THAN DONE, BUT YOU CAN ALWAYS DISTRACT HER ATTENTION TO SOMETHING ELSE.

Answer by older at 3:29 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• You know maybe it's just a girl thing. My daughter turned 2 in May but like yours has been doing this for awhile. Her older brother did not and does not whine unless she is.

For us we distract her into doing something else. If it is beyond that point, then I put her in her room and don't let her come out until the fit is done. Sounds cruel but it is the only thing I have found that makes her stop screaming or hitting us.
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 3:30 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Ours has been doing this since about 14 months or so.. we ignore her anymore because it only happens when we take something she can't have. We TRIED doing the whole.. give her something else to distract her, and she'd just throw it. So we ignore the fits, and she usually gives up soon afterwards.
    Skye-Angel

Answer by Skye-Angel at 3:33 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• ignore the bad, reward the good and remind constantly. Tell her she is whining (she probably doesn't realize the difference yet) and needs to ask like a big girl. Then give her an example such as May I have an apple or ask her to point and say please. If she continues to whine ignore it. If she asks nicely, praise and give what you wnated (if she can have it). Have daddy, family, etc show her too. Have daddy whine to you for something and play it out as if it were your daughter so she can see. It'll take time, though. Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:45 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• My 2 year old son throws tantrums & I just put him in his playpen in his room & explain that he's going in time out until the screaming stops. I leave him in the room until he calms down & that usual works. Plus , that way me & the other kids don't have have to hear it, & also It keeps him from hurting himself on a toy on something.
    luvmyangels3

Answer by luvmyangels3 at 3:46 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Ignore it. It's just a plea for attention.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 4:17 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Its not just a girl thing. I have a son who was born crying/whining and he's 21 months and STILL does it - ignoring it has yet to help. he will outlast me and do it ALL DAY. He's also starting tantrums but I can handle those, its the ALL DAY Whining that seem unbearable.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:35 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Trust me, children do what works! If she doesn't get any attention for her tantrums---she will find new ways to get what she wants. Ignore the tantrums and promote the good behavior (don't overdo the praising). One time, in the supermarket, my son (when he was 2) had a major break down tantrum because I said no to the latest junk cereal. He was throwing himself out of the (full) cart etc. I simply picked him up (ranting away), told the clerk to return the items in my cart, put him in his car seat and drove home. Once home, he went to his room. No screaming from me or any reaction he was looking for,. I spoke softly but meant what I said. No sugary cereal and no tantrums if he was going to be out with me. Honestly, I never had a problem again. If he looked like he was headed to a tantrum, I just reminded him that we would be headed home. Mean what you say and say what you mean. Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:25 PM on Sep. 8, 2009