Has anyone here had success breastfeeding their adopted or surrogate baby?

I'm currently pregnant with our 2nd child so this isn't a concern for quite a while, and I successfully nursed our 2 year old son until just a few months ago when he self-weaned. My husband and I are considering adopting any future children we may have, but breastfeeding is extremely important to me. I do know lactation can be induced through birth control pills, pumping, and Domperidone and have read up on it, but it also says that it's unrealistic to expect to DEFINITELY be able to nurse exclusively without supplementation. just curious of anyone's experience with this. Also, if you did do this, what did you supplement with? a homemade formula, store bought, or donated breastmilk? Thanks.

asherraifsmom

Asked by asherraifsmom at 3:38 PM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Adoption

• I would think you might have an easier time since you've already nursed. Good Luck!

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 3:40 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I just saw on "The Pregnant Man" about using BC pills (his wife breastfed their baby). I think you have a very good chance of succeeding because you have breastfed and are quite the expert on it! If you need donor milk, you also know there are many women on CM who would help you out.
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 4:09 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• thanks Tanya. It would most likely be a couple years before we'd consider it, since I'm pregnant right now, but I like to research way ahead of time, LOL! On Jack Newman's site, it says you start off on BC pills (which mimic pregnancy, which is why if you take several months in a row without the sugar pill you wont have a period) and then around the time the baby is born you stop taking the pills, pump like crazy, and use Domperidone to help up the supply.....
    asherraifsmom

Answer by asherraifsmom at 4:58 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Contact your local Le Leche League, they will be able to help. I would not take birth control pills unless under the advice of a doctor while pregnant. Also check, I read the aids virus can be passed in breast milk, so if you use a donor make sure it is screened
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 5:20 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Seeker, just wanted to add...I'm not planning to take the pill now (while i'm pregnant)....the pill is just used to induce lactation in NONPREGNANT women because when you're on the pill they body thinks you're pregnant, then you go off the pill and use Domperidone and pump and the body sort of thinks you've had the baby, which makes it easier to lactate that way... and, most donation milk banks (and milk banks where you pay) require blood tests and full phsyicals from their donors anyway...
    asherraifsmom

Answer by asherraifsmom at 6:54 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I can tell you from experience that it can be done! Having been pregnant and breastfed before is a definate advantage. I was able to nurse my adopted newborn son for almost a year (before he self weaned after a nursing strike.) I induced lactation using the Newman/Goldfarb protocol which can be found at www.asklenore.com (they also have a great message board for additional support.) We did supplement some using an SNS (supplemental nursing system-- I recommend the Lact-aid) and donated breast milk.
    I think one of the things that I always trued to remember was that nursing wasn't just about nutrition, it was about bonding with my son...It helped me relax andenjoy the journey.
    If you have any questions feel free to PM me!
    Mammoo

Answer by Mammoo at 6:41 PM on Aug. 9, 2009