Take back off booster seats?

My son is 7.5YO (38.5" and 46 lbs) and my step-daughter is 10 (37.5" and 43 lbs) and they both ride in booster seats. I have a van and they ride in the far back seat (would the middle be safer?) My son's shoulder is now above the seat belt strap holder so the seat belt has to go over the top of his shoulder and then down, which he says is uncomfortable so he lets it drape down around his arm. I know this is not good, so should I move the back up to the next notch or take the back off of the booster? Which is safer? I think if I move the back up, I will have to move their seats to the center seats or my rear view will be blocked by their heads! Thanks for any help you can give me!

TanyaR1024

Asked by TanyaR1024 at 4:10 PM on Aug. 3, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Is that really how tall they are? My 3yo is 38" tall. She's still in a carseat with a 5pt harness (she's 30lbs).
    My 9yo is 48" and 45lbs and we took the back off her seat because it was blocking the view out the back window. I couldn't drive like that. I've checked and the belts fit her just right without the back (and for her 6yo sister who is a couple inches shorter and 50lbs). But we're in a pick up truck. The seats actually didn't fit right with the back on (besides blocking the view completely).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:08 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Sorry the 3 was supposed to be a 4! lol. They are around 48"!
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 6:51 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Okay, lol, I was just thinking those are some pretty small kids and I thought my 9yo was short at 48". Funny.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:54 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Wow my son must be huge for his age he's 4 years old and is 47lbs and 45inches tall .. my son is still in a 5pt harness though so i'm not much help sorry just amazed at the age/size difference.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 1:53 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• lol He does sound a bit big but my kids are small, especially the 10YO, her mother is only 4'10" and like 90 lbs so my DSD will be super tiny too
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 1:58 PM on Aug. 4, 2009