depend on a man?

i was talking with my my ex step dad that i have known for my dad since i was like 8... and i went to school to become a medical assistant and wasnt sure if i was pregnant when i started so i worked and went to school til i had to take a leave from school i worked till the day he was born and finished school in april or may... so i will always have that but my dad says i should look for work because i should never be dependant on a man... right now i stay home with my little boy almost 8 months old and i love it... i was just wondering what anyone else thought about staying home and having just your mans income

jaksonsmommy

Asked by jaksonsmommy at 4:14 PM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I do it and I love it, wouldn't trade it for anything. When all my children are in school I'll be returning to work. Until then my hubby supports us all financially.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 4:16 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• in our society now its hard to live on one persons salary depending on how much your husband makes I dont work right i go to school and i am pregnant my husband doesnt want me to go back to work until our son is two I think that you ex dad or what ever is just concerned for you and your family financially and doesnt want to see you struggle like so many other families
    newmom183

Answer by newmom183 at 4:17 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• SOMETIMES IT CAN MAKE YOU FEEL BAD FOR NOT CONTRIBUTING MONEY WISE, AND IT IS TRUE YOU SHOULD ALWAYS HAVE SOME KIND OF TRAINING OR CARREER JUST IN CASE YOU NEED TO DO IT ALONE, BUT FOR THE MOST PART YOUR JOB RIGHT NOW IS YOUR BABY, A JOB THAT ONLY YOU CAN DO, A CHANCE TO MOLD THAT LITTLE CHILD IN YOUR IMAGE, THAT IS THE COOLEST JOB EVEN IF $ COMPENSATION IS NOT INVOVLVED.

Answer by older at 4:17 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• If everyone involved is happy, I say leave it as it is. If your man were to ask you to work, then that would be something to discuss, but there is no reason to change something everyone is happy with just because you think you should be "Miss Independent". That's someone else's ideals. They don't have to be your's. You went to school, you have options, and if (God forbid) something were to happen where you HAD to support yourself and your family or child...you can. That is the important thing. I think if a woman CAN support herself without a man, that is what counts. If you choose not to because you and your SO think your staying home is best...nothing wrong with that. All families are different.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 4:21 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• If DH made enough that we didn't have to worry at all, I would stay hom... that is not the case right now though... I woudn't feel comfortable staying home if we were barely making it either... although, who am I kidding? We are barely making it now and I do work! Ugh...money blows.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 4:24 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I'll add that IF DH made plenty of money, it would still be a very joint decision whether I stay home or work...it would only work if it is what we BOTH wanted.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 4:25 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I am a single mom and I make my own money...I would never depend on a guy because they may not always be there, there job may not always be there. I love to spoil my son and spoil myself and with it being someone elses hard earned money, I would feel bad.

BUT...if you are both happy and there is no reason for you to go to work right now, make the most of it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:45 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• There is no job on Earth more important that raising, nurturing and loving a child. I wouldn't trade my job for any other job in the world. The kids only stay young for a very short time. I wouldn't want to miss a moment of it. And it's very rewarding even if it doesn't have a big pay check. I get no sick days, no vacation days, no personal days, no 401K, but I get things no corporation could ever offer me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:56 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• If you are both happy then stick with what you've got. You have the education so that if you "had" to get a job you could.
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 5:30 PM on Aug. 3, 2009