Anyone have any experience with this...

So, my husband had a battle with leukemia and he's been in remission for 6 years. I met him after the fact. Luckily, he had the foresight to save his sperm and have it frozen. He pays an arm and a leg to have it stored. Since we've been married, we've been trying so hard to have a baby. We're doing everything possible. We've come to realize that we probably can't on our own because of the intense chemotherapy and radiation that he went through. So, we're enlisting the help of the dr's. I was just curious if anyone else found themselves in this situation and what the outcome was.

B_Vail

Asked by B_Vail at 4:17 PM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• Intrauterine inseminations from the frozen sperm can be a great option. Depending on how many vials they froze, you might try a cycle or two with that. Nothing prevents you from trying the traditional way while you do, and after you try that. It's not a terrible procedure, and if you don't have any of your own known fertility issues, you might just do day three bloodwork, an ultrasound or two or just go in when an ovulation predictor kit says it's time. I went through a couple, not under similar circumstances, but as far as fertility treatments go, that's one of the easiest.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 9:27 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• You've exhausted the supply of frozen sperm?
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 8:02 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• No...we were trying to do it on our own. But since we can't, I'm not really sure what to expect. I was wondering if anyone else had a similar situation.
    B_Vail

Answer by B_Vail at 8:55 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Thank you halfpoint. I have no fertility issues that we know of and we have 10 vials. The docotr said we'll do it when I'm ovulating so I'm hoping for good results the first or second time. Do you know how many vials they use at once and if it's painful?
    B_Vail

Answer by B_Vail at 8:50 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• They only use one vial, unless they find a problem when they thaw it....unlikely... In that case, they might use two. I compare the feeling to having a pap smear done. Just breathe deep and slow when they insert the tiny tube and do your best to relax. That will make it easier. Then just chill out on the exam table for whatever time they say. Maybe bring some headphones and music that relaxes you. Good luck!
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 6:15 PM on Aug. 4, 2009