Have you ever rented a hospital grade breast pump?

I threw my old one away from my son....urrgh...and I only plan on breastfeeding for 6 weeks with this baby. So I don't want to spend the $$ on a new pump....does anyone have any experience in renting? I want to rent a Medela from the hospital. I used Medela with my son and loved it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:25 PM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I did rent a hospital grade pump, it worked great, but was big and bulky and hard to cart around.

If you are only BFing for 6 weeks why do need a pump?
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 4:31 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I didn't rent one, but I used one at the hospital. They gave me all the tubes and shields to keep, so be sure and ask for those at the hospital (get the lactation consultant to show you how to use it and they'll have to get some for you). I went home and bought a Medela, but the one I used at the hospital was way better. If you only plan on doing it for 6 weeks I'd definitely rent so you can use a good one without having to buy it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:32 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Oh, and it was a Medela.... I did that with my first, but ended up buying a Medela PIS with my second.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 4:32 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I rented a Medela Lactina pump for about $35/month. It worked great, but they aren't meant to be portable, if that's what you're looking for.
    sarahshoe2

Answer by sarahshoe2 at 4:34 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I used a Medela hospital-grade pump while I was at the hospital and then rented one for a week afterwards ($35/week). However, I couldn't tell a difference between that one and my Medela PIS. I asked the LC what the difference was and she said "Oh, about $1000." Oh well, felt the same to me!
    Lauren0209

Answer by Lauren0209 at 4:48 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• OP here - to gramsmom. Although I'm only breastfeeding for 6 weeks I'd still like the freedom to pump for outings and such. I don't breastfeed in public...not that that there is ANYTHING wrong with it. To each it's own. :-)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:51 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I rented one through my pediatrician for ten months. The cost than was $35/month and it was WELL worth it.

It was a lactina, and quite portable. You just have to store that monstrous case. I would remove the tubing and funnels and carry them in a small cooler bag with the pumped milk.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:11 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• One more thought...six weeks is just where the nursing gets easy. Do yourself a favor and don't set any expectations. **grin** That way you;'re ready for wherever the road takes you.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:12 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Try a medical supply store. I rented one to try and boost my supply... it was $50 (in VA) per month. Look online also for local lactation consultants or a Le Leche league, they may have resources. Good luck!
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 9:23 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• No, but I did buy one. It works like a charm and is SOO worth the money!
    clhadley

Answer by clhadley at 10:19 PM on Aug. 3, 2009