Do you think it is right for the government to ban smoking in the military?

My friend is in the military and he is very unhappy about this...I dont blame him. He is out there fighting for us and for freedom and they are trying to take his rights away.

IMO I think this is BS and I dont think that they should have to give up something like that when they have to go through what they do. I cant imagine what these guys and girls have to go through and see everyday...let them smoke.

ProudMom_5703

Asked by ProudMom_5703 at 4:33 PM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

Level 1 (-7 Credits)
  • they can't smoke during basic training and that's enough, smoking while in combat or deployed isn't going to hurt anything.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:34 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• No, but does not surprise me. The govt. and Obama want to control EVERYTHING you do now. Welcome to socialism, good-bye freedom. How pathetic.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:35 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Honestly, it is WRONG to take away their rights. My husband (in the army) has been trying to quit and he's had a lot of problems b/c they don't get breaks unless they smoke and everyone smokes. EVERYONE. At the same time, there are better more healthy ways to redirect stress other than smoking, so I don't think that it should be an excuse to smoke. My husband is in Iraq right now and was finally able to quit and is proud of himself. He spends his time emailing me and working on his college. And when he gets really stressed, he goes to the gym, instead of smoking.
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 4:36 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• What about he non-smoking military men and women? Should they have to suffer from 2nd hand smoke?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:03 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Trying to eliminate smoking in the military goes WAYYY back before Obama. And the US military has every right to demand that its warriors are in TOP physical condition. That includes no smoking. For those who don't like it...well, it *is* an all-volunteer service.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:08 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Military personnel are Government property after signing on the line. Those in the Military are aware of this. Even tattooing yourself can lead to disciplinary actions. So, as for the smoking ban, too bad; following regulations, even if deemed unfair is part of the job.

Tetona

Answer by Tetona at 5:31 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Oh for the love of...The military has been slowly going smoke free for years. It's not like this is happening overnight. I joined in 1994 and left in 2005 and watched it change and change and change.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 5:46 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I don't smoke nor can I stand to be around it but it is really unfair to take that right away from our men and women in uniform. During combat, sometimes a smoke can help to calm their nerves or their stress. My husband doesn't smoke but when he was in combat he lost his best buddy in an IED attack, he was so upset that he just needed it to calm down. I hope that if this does go through that they take away tobacco to our cops and even Oblahblah can't because after all he is the commander in chief, aka the boss.
    usmc0351wife

Answer by usmc0351wife at 6:12 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Thats true Izsarejman. When I was in they had been slowly banning smoking already. That was in 1989-1994.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 6:28 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I am with USMC..If the guys on the FRONT LINES can't smoke than neithercan the man that orders them there! Geez.  It may not have started with this administration, buts its really hypocritical for a man who smokes to tell others they can't. 

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 6:29 PM on Aug. 3, 2009