How much do I need to pump to be enough for one feeding for my baby ?

How many oz. is enough ? I pump her what seems like all that is in there , and it still doesn't seem like enough . ...

1baby2009

Asked by 1baby2009 at 4:38 PM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You will never get as much pumping as you will when you are actually able to BF. It just doesn't work the same. So if you're preparing to go away for a little while, you'll probably have to pump several times to hold her over while you're gone.
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 4:41 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Every baby is different and each baby can vary from day to day. However my 5 month old normally eats about 5-6 oz. at each feeding while she is in daycare. She will usually eat four bottles over 8 hours. I suggest pumping a couple of times until you have around 10 oz. and then split that into two or three bottles (depending on how old your baby is). Then you can use those bottles for a few feedings and gauge how much she is eating. That should give you a pretty good average.
    Lauren0209

Answer by Lauren0209 at 4:52 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Mine would never take more than three. You need one ounce per hour of separation.

Babies are SUPPOSED to be bottomless pits at the breast...but caregivers also tend to overfeed.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:04 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• they have charts that say how much a BF and bottle feeding baby should eat but if u pump and pump and she is never full even after giving he boob not bottle then maybe u should do some fomula or cereal if she is old enough
    Lacrisha

Answer by Lacrisha at 5:20 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• my ds is 5 mtsand hetakes 3oz
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 5:58 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• my daughter is 5 months and can drink a 6 oz bottle no problem.
    Shes only 12.5lbs
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 9:25 PM on Aug. 3, 2009