Does pregnancy make your vagina smell?

my friend told me that her vagina started to smell bad when she was pregnant. Is this true? If so what causes it and how far into pregnancy does it start to smell?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:52 PM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• she had problems, idk i didn't stink with my 1st & i don't now
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:57 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• your friend should have gone to the doctor about that lol...
    i've never heard of that...?
    annelebar

Answer by annelebar at 4:57 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• It can make it smell different - it makes your whole body smell different because of the changes in your hormones. Pregnancy also causes your sense of smell to greatly increase (more for some women than others), and this hehgtened sense of smell can make you think you stink! With my first pregnancy I thought I smelled terrible the entire time, but apparently it was only me that thought so. It started very early in the pregnancy for me - about the same time as morning sickness.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:00 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Ok well honestly she probably had a yeast infection. Tha's usually what causes that smell and they are really common in pregnancy. They can happen anytime during the pregnancy. You need to see your doctor and she will prescribe you something to clear it up within a week.
    Bamzakarat

Answer by Bamzakarat at 5:03 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Mine didn't smell bad, but it definitely smelled different during my whole pregnancy. My skin smelled totally different too...my hair, everything. I still don't know if it was all in my head or not lol.
    benjamink

Answer by benjamink at 5:09 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Mine had a different odor ( i wouldn't say stinky, or strong). When I talked to my doctor about it he said it was where I was sweating more often. And now that I'm pregnant again, I've noticed I do sweat ALOT down there. But I wear women's boxers more then anything, so I think that may be the cause.... Since I've started wearing more.... breezy.... clothing it has helped.
    It could be the yeast infection, and I don't know personally, but I've heard that there is a type of STD that causes an odor, but has very few other symptoms that show... I don't know how true that is though.
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 5:38 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Pregnancy causes all of your body odors to smell different. Not bad, just different. Some notice it, some don't.
    As for it smelling bad, chances are like the PPers said, it was most likely a yeast infection or bacterial vaginosis. Both are VERY common in pregnancy.
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 6:11 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• It makes mine smell. It's tiring to hear people always say it's a yeast infection, I've never had a yeast infection in my life, but the doctors with my first pregnancy said it was likely my urine and the new smells it has due to pregnancy, and that it was leaking occasionally. I also smelled the smell a couple times on birth control, and I'm smelling it regularly with my second pregnancy now and it's making me crazy due to my heightened sense of smell and nausea.
    SLCSteph

Answer by SLCSteph at 8:23 PM on Mar. 23, 2012

• hey moms. and ladies
    i am 18.
    this is my first pregnancy and i kinda need help.
    newmommy12399

Answer by newmommy12399 at 7:03 PM on Jul. 30, 2012

• Mine is starting to smell different to and my husband said the same thing and its starting to make me feel insecure about my self as if getting bigger is amazing it also has its downsides too.. what can I do to make it where I'm not insecure about it?
    first.time.mom7

Answer by first.time.mom7 at 10:55 PM on Dec. 28, 2013