I heard it's dangerous to put sunblock on an infant because their sweat glands aren't developed. At what age is it safe?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:54 PM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Kids' Health

• the bottle says 6 months and up
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:56 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• After 6 months and you're fine. It's mostly done out of fear for an allergic reaction and the fact that their skin is just so sensitive.
    innocencexinxme

Answer by innocencexinxme at 5:04 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• six months. please check the safety of the ingredients first: www.cosmeticsdatabase.com

Answer by rkoloms at 6:13 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• It's not that it's "dangerous", but more that it's not recommended. Their skin is still so thin, and will absorb more of the lotion increasing the chance for a reaction and/or basically rendering it useless. I've never heard anything about sweat glands, and I checked with two different doctors before applying it to my kids. (and discovered that one is VERY sensitive even to the hypoallergenic brands! LOL)

Always do a small patch test first and watch for a reaction. Make sure you bathe them afterward, too. The longer it sits on their skin, the more likely they are to develop a rash (two of my three do this if left on for too long)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:57 PM on Aug. 4, 2009