I'm a SAHM and my boyfriend (also the father) works. I do contribute about 1,300.00 to the house hold each month from real estate I own. All he does around the house is take the trash to the curb,cut the grass once every two weeks and get the baby out of the bath tub, is this fair , does the fact that I do bring money in make a differents in the way hous hold duties should be shared.

Needlless to say I do everthing else

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:15 PM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Relationships

• you can always reverse roles.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:19 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Who makes how much makes no difference whatsoever.

That said...no, it's not fair. He needs to pitch in. If he refuses, then stop doing his laundry. He'll get the hint when he's out of underwear. **grin**

Answer by gdiamante at 5:19 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• it doesn't matter who brings in money - it matters who has time. If you SAH and BF has a job then you will have to do more of the household chores. It doesn't mean he gets off free, but you do have to expect that his household chore load will be lighter than yours. If you think he isn't doing enough then you need to ask him to do more.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:20 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Depends on the relationship. My hubby will help when I ask. He works, but i get unemployment because I can't find a job in this stupid place. So, technicaly, I do contribute financially. But, he's the one out there actually working for his money.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:24 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• It doesn't matter if you work outside the home or not(in my opinion)...my belief is housework should be shared. Because being a mom IS a full time job. Some women are happy doing all the work, it makes them feel fulfilled and being the "dutiful wife" is okay for them. That's fine, no judgment here from me, whatever works for them.

However, we do just as much(if not more) than our husbands do some days, and I don't think that they should use the crutch "i work 40-60 hours a week..blah blah blah" to get out of helping a little bit. They can wash a dish, they can sweep a floor. Simple things. I'm blessed in the fact that my SO does help me if I ask him to and once in a blue moon will just help on his own without complaint. He has his moments, but i am not perfect person either. :)

Our job is never-ending, theirs ends at 5p.m(or whatever time the work clock stops). He should help if you need it, no questions asked.JMO.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 5:24 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• If you don't think it's fair, and by the sounds of it you don't, you should talk to him about it. I am a SAHM to 3 children and my hubby pays the bills (as in literally sends off the payments) and takes care of the yard work on his days off. Other than that I take care of pretty much everything else. He keeps the kids home so I can go to the store on my own, but most of the day to day things I take care of because he doesn't get to spend much time with them and I'd prefer the time he does have is quality time. He cooks sometimes when he's home around dinner time and he will help with something if I ask. I don't mind taking care of the house on my own, I am here all day, and he works long crazy hours. If that sort of thing isn't working for you, you need to let you SO know.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 5:36 PM on Aug. 3, 2009