Starting formula???

My daughter is 5 1/2 months old and has been exclusively breastfed up untill about a week ago...I wanted to start adding in a little formula here and there so she would be used to it b4 she has to go to daycare(i'm not having a lot of luck pumping). Her first two tastes of formula went just fine...but her third bottle resulted in a reenactment of the exorcist. worse...she broke out in hives. I gave her the formula one more time and again...HIVES. so the doc switched her to a lactose-free formula and she did just fine. I'm feeling REALLY guilty though about even having to start her on formula....How long did ur baby stay exclusively breastfed and did u feel any guilt when u started weaning them off???

bobcatsmommy

Asked by bobcatsmommy at 5:19 PM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Mien stayed exclusively breastfed till solids were introduced. He weaned at 26 months. And I was workign 60 hours a week. It's quite doable.

Please drop by the breastfeeding moms group and we can give you some help with the pumping. Know for now that he needs one ounce per hour of separation.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:21 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• My son was given formula and was breastfed right from the get go. I wasn't producing enough milk to satisfy the little piggy :)

I would breast feed him when I could and for as long as I could and then I'd still have to give him a bottle after.
    Eventually he weaned himself off of the boob and then one day when he was about a year old he decided he didn't want the bottle anymore either...
    I suppose I've lucked out in that department...
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 6:00 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Do the best you can. Don't forget breastfeeding isn't all or nothing. You can provide as much as possible and fill in the rest with formula. Since she's nearly six months, you might find she needs a touch less milk when she starts solids, and you might find you have enough. But don't feel guilty when you're doing your best.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 8:23 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Im breastfeeding at 5 months. About 2 weeks ago I started giving a little formula. Just so when she's not around me I don't have to worry about having alot pumped.
    She's hardly ever away from me, on my birthday on Saturday she went to grandmas for the night and I only had to pump half the amount needed and she just topped the bottles off with formula.
    Afew times dad gives her a bottle of formula to let me sleep in.
    I felt guilty at first but I like the flexibility.
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 9:21 PM on Aug. 3, 2009