What do you think I should do?

My husband wants to join the coast guard so he can finish up his pilot training and fly the helicopters for them. I don't really know what to think about it or if I even want him to.

He was going to a helicopter school here and they shut down nation wide and filed bankruptcy so he didn't get to finish up his training. He really enjoys flying them but I just don't want to have to up and move all the time...Military is very unpredictable and I don't know that I want my children to move everytime daddy has to be stationed somewhere else.

Would you encourage your husband to go or ask him to please not?? I really don't want to hold him back from his dream so I don't know what to do...maybe I have already answered my own question... Oh and I really don't want to be stationed in Alaska which his friend has convinced him to if they both enlist. AHHH WAY TO COLD FOR ME!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:30 PM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Money & Work

• I would let him know how I feel, but also let him know that I stand behind him no matter what he decides. I would not want to be the one to stand in the way of his dreams and possible regret it in the future and blame me for it. I could see it ruining a marriage.
    craftykidsclub

Answer by craftykidsclub at 6:55 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Talk to him. Sit him down and say "can we talk for a few minutes" and just lay it all out on the line.

When money got tight here my husband talked about going into the military. I panicked. With so many of my friends and family being shipped overseas I didn't want him to leave me or my boys. I was terrified to raise my kids alone even for the 6 weeks of basic, terrified something would happen to him or us. We talked it out and as it turned out another job came up so he didn't go.

If he joins don't think of it as a fear of moving. Think of it as new opportunities. In Alaska they pay you oil rights to own land. Cold, yes. But you'd only be there a year or two tops. Take photos, make a photography book, sight see or just study courses and get a degree (no distraction with below 0 temps). It's a tough choice but just talk it over with him. Either he sees your point or you see his. Either way find common ground. :)
    KeishaJL

Answer by KeishaJL at 1:23 PM on Aug. 4, 2009